AutoDesSys

Revolving nonlinear shapes error

Bobbku

I have a problem with revolving shapes that consists nonlinear shapes (splines, arcs, etc.) using its own segment.

Heres a short video showing the issue with a unified with a circle but same thing happens when drawing a profile consisting v-lines and splines.

Please let me if there is anything I can do to fix it.

Hi Bobbku

Actually your source shape is not suppose to touch or intersect the object you revolve in order to avoid bed geometry (zero radius hole for instance). However in this magic case it worked for you for simple shaped object. :D  So, if you want to create an object from source shown  you need to create axe of revolution that is not touching your source object. If you don`t like resulting hole in the center you could select it with topological level "HOLE" active and hit "DELETE" or any other tool appropriate which FormZ has plenty.

Enjoy,

Anton.

Bobbku,

Yes, as Anton notes, you don't want to revolve a shape whose parts are coincident with the axis of revolution.  If you Delete the segment on the axis of revolution, and then Revolve, you should get a properly solid (as long as the end points of the open shape are on the axis of revolution).

Does that do what you want?

Anton,

You really do NOT want to make a hole in the center unless you specifically want that geometry.  Just move a copy of the "axis" segment, then Delete it from the source shape, and revolve...  Then you will have a proper solid with no holes...

Archived