AutoDesSys

Steel Fabrication Drawings

malcineurope

Hi

I wondered whether anybody uses FormZ for steel fabrication drawings? If so, what is your workflow? Many forms now rely on 3D programs for producing their drawings but I am not sure how FormZ measures up. I have a bridge i have modelled in FormZ but an unclear how best to produce the fabrication drawings from it. Layout does not seem to do it for me and when I export dwg from Layout I am missing much of the detail that is available in the model. Unless I am doing it incorrectly of course!

Hi malcineurope

I pretty often order steel details. And all is done from within FormZ. Unfortunately Layout is not a proper tool for drafting for the moment and mostly I have to deal with legacy FormZ Drafting environment. Despite it is old it handles the job properly. If there is a chance to take a look at your design I would better understand what you are talking about.

Do you work with Imperial or Metric as it is understood from your nick?

Regards,

Anton.

Hello malcineurope.

I took a look to your model and realised that there are not too many details (19 to be exact) to make manual drafts for each of them. So you could just take all types to one surface and use either Layout or legacy FormZ for drafting.

post-46-0-73342900-1473586996_thumb.png

Unfortunately FomZ does not give you this all the way automated approach as it does Autocad. It is general modeling app. Which it does quite well  :) .

In your next design I would highly recommend to take a look at Profiles plugin which would give you an opportunity to make cutlists and information managements which you can`t use with free modeling. Though it does not allow you to drill holes or cut with custom angles as it is in your design. :(

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton

Thanks for your help. I will get over the problem with this model. I did make use of Profiles but did not use it intelligently. I will do better next time. However, as you say, whilst useful, it does not solve the problem. It is a pity. I love modelling in FormsZ.  However, I always come up against the same problem. I have a good working model but need to produce drawings by which my structure can actually be built. Layout is nowhere near good enough and exporting from layout via dwg I find to be awful. In the end I normally start to produce my drawings from scratch using my normal cad program, Powercadd. Hardly an efficient workflow!

All the best

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm.

Thank you for your opinion. Hope it is seen by AutoDesSys. HELLO AUTODESSYS! 

Malcolm if you have a a chance access to old FormZ You would find Drafting awesome. And in this case you would never even thought of PowerCadd.

Good luck with your project.

Anton.

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry you are having trouble and thanks for your email as well as your posting on our forum.  In general, please choose one method so we don't have to duplicate responses. If you use these Frame Parameters: Options, does that give you what you want?

post-5-0-68691600-1473701780_thumb.jpg

If not, please send the FML file that references this FMZ so we can test with that directly.

(Since we have a more complete discussion going via email, we will continue to reply there for future correspondence.)

• 1 month later...

Hi Malcolm.

Thank you for your opinion. Hope it is seen by AutoDesSys. HELLO AUTODESSYS! 

Malcolm if you have a a chance access to old FormZ You would find Drafting awesome. And in this case you would never even thought of PowerCadd.

Good luck with your project.

Anton.

Hello AHTOH (Здравствуйте очень дорогой АНТОН!)

I've got one brief question for you. When you say 'legacy' and 'old' versions of FormZ, which particular version numbers do you refer to?

I am also deep into the 2D idea. There are moments in the design process where you do not need 3D at all.

If the 3D entity is in your head, all I need is not a 3D software to make the 3D model first and then extract the 2d information afterwards but a simple, fast, convenient and very efficient 2D module. You have the 3D in your head (in your GPU.... :) ), so to say, and you don't need the GPU of the computer. Should the 2D CAD software be good enough, you can start directly 2d drafting and then do the 3D for other purposes - presentatiuons, bills of quantities etc.

For me, ArchiCAD is super good in terms of 2D drafting, especially the 'ghost story' thing that I could not find in any other CAD on the market. That is exactly as the old architects used to underlay rice paper sheets underneath their drawings, move the underlay, rotate it etc., very, very useful and simple.

Sometimes it is the 2D first and then 3D, sometimes it is vice versa.

Thank you in advance! (Вам очень спосибо!)

Hello AHTOH (Здравствуйте очень дорогой АНТОН!)

I've got one brief question for you. When you say 'legacy' and 'old' versions of FormZ, which particular version numbers do you refer to?

I am also deep into the 2D idea. There are moments in the design process where you do not need 3D at all.

If the 3D entity is in your head, all I need is not a 3D software to make the 3D model first and then extract the 2d information afterwards but a simple, fast, convenient and very efficient 2D module. You have the 3D in your head (in your GPU.... :) ), so to say, and you don't need the GPU of the computer. Should the 2D CAD software be good enough, you can start directly 2d drafting and then do the 3D for other purposes - presentatiuons, bills of quantities etc.

For me, ArchiCAD is super good in terms of 2D drafting, especially the 'ghost story' thing that I could not find in any other CAD on the market. That is exactly as the old architects used to underlay rice paper sheets underneath their drawings, move the underlay, rotate it etc., very, very useful and simple.

Sometimes it is the 2D first and then 3D, sometimes it is vice versa.

Thank you in advance! (Вам очень спосибо!)

Hi ivsim.

When I need something really complex in drafting I can`t rely on 8.5 and I pull out my old good friend 6.6.5. That`s what I did for decades — I made my drafts and used imagination.

I am afraid it is kind of tricky for to get 6.7.5 as it is no longer for sale by AutoDesSys. Another bad thing about it: it works only with hardware key. Lucky us, old users, ADS generously allowed us to continue use this old and noble tool.

However it would not be fair to mention that modeling since v7 is giant leap forward. I wish one day dream of  merge of both worlds become true  :D .

Best,

Anton.

P.S. What country are you from?

Thank you, AHTOH!

Respect for your contributions to this forum!

p.s.: It is Bulgaria :), just down under over the Black sea.

Hi Ivsim.

Than you might understand that joke with my nick on forum.

I know exactly where Bulgaria is. Even went there with a car for vacation once. And fell in love with your country and people. 

Good to see bugarian here at FormZ forum. If there is any help needed — you are welcome.

Best,

Anton.

Archived