AutoDesSys

Alpha channel for transparency

Peder

I have noticed when importing Sketchup files that FZ interprets the transparency in the material from the RGB channel when in fact an alpha channel is present. I can easily open the transparency tab in the material -open the image and click the "use alpha" checkbox. I just wish that would be FZs default interpretation.

Hi Peder,

If there is an Import issue, we need the file being imported that is causing the issue to analyze this -- not the "after the fact" FMZ file.  Can you please send the SKP version of the file so we can take a look?

(Please also include a screen capture of the SketchUp Material Editor specifically using the Alpha for this file.)

Hi Peder,

Thanks for sending your SKP file and capture.  

So from what we understand, SketchUp is not specifically set to use the Alpha.  If we were to automatically assume that any image with an Alpha should use the Alpha channel as you suggest, that could address this issue -- but then wouldn't there be cases where this would cause problems where the Alpha was not supposed to be used?

Well the purpose of using an image with an alpha channel present presumably is that you want to use transparency. I am merely suggesting that would be the default behaviour of FZ -if transparency is undesired going in and removing the image and alpha from the transparency channel is a simple matter. So I am not suggesting any new functionality of FZ merely that the default behaviour could be more helpful.

+1   90% of the time I bring in an image that has an alpha,  I will want to use that Alpha as a transparency.

Automatically using it would definitely speed things up for me.   However, that really has more to do with my developed working style than what

Should be a mandatory default of formZ.     An option to auto apply (for users choice of trans, bump etc...)  would probably be the most prudent.

as it would be the most flexible.

Cheers!

Archived