AutoDesSys

Underlays for Standard Ref Planes

setz

Is it currently possible, or would it be possible to add, the ability to assign an underlay to one of the six standard, not custom, ortho reference planes?

When I make a custom plane (similar orientation to one of the XYZ planes), and then change the view, the underlay disappears.  I need to select the custom reference plane again to get it to show again. I switch between ortho and perspective views often and I need to repeatedly turn the underlay on again each time.

My desire is to be able to associate an underlay with each of the six standard XYZ planes, and that the appropriate underlay would automatically become visible for the ortho view being used.

In addition, sliders for the scale and positioning of the underlay, similar to the transparency slider, would be a welcome addition to the Reference Plane Parameters Palette.  A key shortcut for global Underlay visibility would be good to have as well.

Stez,

I just went through this with tech. I use billboards in the usual locations beyond the area of modeling and save my ortho views in the views palette.

Adjust your hither and yon planes so you capture the modeling area and the billboard you need for that view, check the box to use these in the view parameters options dialog.

Switch between them using the view palette.

You can integrate the multi view window option as well.

Here is a link to the topic.

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/4120-seeing-object-behind-eyepoint-in-ortho/

Let me know if you have questions, hope this helps.

Joe

Hi Setz,

If you go to a 3d view,  choose the desired Reference Plane from the Planes Palette (lower left by default), then set the desired Underlay via the Reference Plane Parameters Palette, then when you go to a Top, Front, or Side View from the View Menu (or Navigation Tools Palette) -- the desired Underlay should then show from the selected Projection View.

Underlay2.zip

Does that do what you want?

Z,

Currently, we are unable to save these planes directly and the "define reference plane" tool must be used to get custom planes into the palette.

Also, moving and aligning these underlays require numeric input whereas you can drag a billboard.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Joe,

If you use the Edit Reference Plane tool -- you can resize the Reference Plane -- and thus the Underlay if you are using the Fit option in the Reference Plane Parameters: Underlay settings.

Also, you can use the Measure tool to resize Underlays if you check that option from the Tool Options Palette (and it can resize Billboards too).  Just Measure a large portion of the image -- put the desired size in the Tool Options Palette and click Update...

Z,

I agree, scaling underlays has been a pleasure since V7, it's making location and alignment corrections that I think could be improved. Since billboards were introduced I have not used the underlay function much. I like to think that the billboard tool was created just for me (I know otherwise) but for this, I will always be grateful.

Best,

Joe

Thank you for the suggestions Joe.

Tech, yes setting the Underlay on ortho planes while in a perspective was the part I was missing, I was trying to set them while in the ortho views.

Can you add a suggestions for sliders and a key sct?

Also, a note, unselecting the locked proportions does not return the image to original proportions unless you reload the image.  Can there be a button or pulldown for proportions (reset)?

(in the "By Dimensions" section)

also if you change the X, currently the Y won't update to fit original proportions

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe,  The Palette issue is now fixed with the v8.5.5 update.  See here for more details:  http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/4188-form•z-855-update-released/?p=15532

Setz, thanks for your suggestion, we will consider this for the future.

Bo,  Use the Shaded Work Display Options to set the Background Image to a "Flat" image and load your desired background image for use as a Background Underlay.  (Use the Display Menu: Image Options to match the size and / or proportions of this image if you like.)

Archived