AutoDesSys

preferences vs sample file vs ?

archigraphica

I'm not getting how the preference file is working in this current version.  You used to set your interface settings how you wanted and hit save preferences or modify the "template project" and it would save everything. Now the preference file is only saved at exit? (unless it crashes then it's not saved) For example I have to reset the "Display Options" with every file I import (DWG) or old file I open.  If I start with file/new it pulls up the settings from the template file.  Where are those settings stored?  Is there some list of what's saved in the preferences vs saved in the template file?  thanks.

Hi Archigraphica,

Project Settings are stored in the Template file whereas System Settings are stored in the Preferences.  You should be able to go to the Preferences and save your preference file at any time you like.

Project settings are those that can vary from one project to another, whereas System settings will be the same for all projects.

Unfortunately there can be an issue whereby the Template file is not used after Importing a third party format.  To work around that, get a New Project, choose File: Import -- and check the Add to Project Checkbox at the bottom of the Import dialog.

Does that help?

(As a point of further clarification on preferences -- the location and setup of the tools and palettes are now stored in the Workspaces -- so you can have different palette or tool arrangements for different operations.)

I think that's my point, there's no longer a "save preferences" button?

As for importing I just drag and drop say a DWG into a blank part of the interface (because you can't drop it onto a work window?) and it doesn't give me that option.  I never use the file/import so I didn't see that option.  Upon trying it works like you say.  So either it needs to be fixed to use the preference file or add the "add to project" button to each of the import dialog boxes. Also ask them to put the save preferences button back.  That's another one of those simple things that used to work well and now doesn't.

thanks, 

Hi Archigraphica,

You can just click the New Preference button and save with the same name if you like.  Does that work for you?

Yes, we will see if we can set the Import to use the Template for the future, but using the File Menu: Import option should be a pretty easy work-around for now.  

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help.  ;)

Archived