AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allanjl

Alpha channel background

Greetings,

So far I love what Thea can do. Quick question: Does anyone know how to go about setting the background to alpha channel using either the Thea plugin or Thea Studio. I did a quick lookup on both manuals and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Allan

Hi Allan,

You can save a render with the alpha channel as background by choosing the "PNG Image+Alpha Files" option when saving the image (see attached file).

This option will be visible only if the Alpha channel was selected for rendering.

Regards,

Manolis

post-12511-0-71159000-1469542264_thumb.jpg

Manolis. Although I understand where one saves the image, and I can see "png", I cannot find the setting to first enable alpha channel as a background. I've looked throught the palettes, but I don't see it.

Thanks.

Hi Allan,

You can enable alpha by going to Darkroom > PRODUCTION > Channels in Studio and Display Options > Rendering > Channels in the plugin.

Please let me know if that's not what you are looking for.

Regards,

Manolis

What workflow in formZ will get you an alpha channel? I've enabled it in the Channels tab, but don't get an image with an alpha channel. I've tried saving as PNG and EXR rendering in Adaptive BSD model.

Thanks!

Hi Evan,

Saving as EXR should give you alpha (and any other rendered channel) as long as the "Multi-Layered EXR output" is checked in the Preferences (Extensions > Thea Render > Preferences > EXR)

Hi Manolis,

Even with that option checked, I don't get any additional channels or layers in Photoshop using EXR or PNG format. Any ideas? Can you please verify it's working for you?

Thanks

Hi Evan,

With Photoshop you might have to install a plugin like this one to use multi-layered EXR files properly.

As far as I know this should not be necessary for other applications such as After Effects, Fusion, Composite, Mamba FX or Natron.

Regards,

Manolis

Thanks for the added info Manolis. Is there no way to render a still image to PNG with an alpha channel to be opened in Photoshop from inside FormZ using Thea? The manual leads me to believe I can but when trying it I don't get transparency.

Hi Evan, no, the png option saves the selected channel (eg color) as is, so there's no added transparency.

I'll make sure there is an option for this in the next revision as in the Studio.

The manual leads me to believe I can but when trying it I don't get transparency.

The plugin's manual?