AutoDesSys

[BUG?] 8.5.4 LWO & OBJ export "unreliable"...

jwiede

I have now seen this in a fairly repeatable scenario, enough so that I wanted to reach out and check whether any other users were seeing similar export issues in Mac Form-Z Pro 8.5.4 when exporting to LWO (Lightwave) or OBJ (Wavefront) formats.

Specifically, even though the object to be exported (smooth-surfaced, say a simple unit torus) is visible and selected, and upon firing off the Export... menu item (choosing either LWO or OBJ format), and using default tessellation options and providing a simple filename, I almost _never_ get actual usable output on the first attempt.  Instead an 84-200 byte file gets created that when loaded into other apps contains no vertices, no edges, no polygons, nothing.

Anyone else seen similar behavior from Mac Form-Z Pro 8.5.4 when exporting to LWO or OBJ formats?

If I try multiple times, I can eventually get FormZ to export the file as desired, but doing _exact_ same steps (from same selection state, etc.) each time, the first 1-2 tries almost never (maybe 1-in-100) generate valid output files here, while the 3rd-4th consecutive try reliably produces valid output given nigh-identical input conditions.

Am preparing bug report with content, screencast capture, etc. but first wanted to see if this was known and/or worth filing?

Thanks!

i can try to reproduce the problem here if you don't mind to share the FZ file.

cheers

markus

Heya Markus, I'd appreciate that, and will send you the FZ this evening after I get home from work.

So if you:

1.  Create a torus of arbitrary size with center at axis origin.

2.  Create a slightly smaller torus at the same centerpoint.

3.  Boolean difference/subtract the latter out of the former, deleting all but result.

4.  Select result.

5.  Export->LWO to an arbitrary file.

...and then load in LW, or examine in Finder, you see a multi-mb file?  Or do you see some tiny-sized file (sub-1K) as a result of the export?

BTW, I believe I can repro with just simple torus primitive as well, but I added the boolean to ensure the resultant shape required some processing.  Anyway, will send FZ after work.  Thanks!

Hi JWiede,

We have not been able to reproduce this with any of our tests.  Please send additional info so we can investigate this further.

I'll package up the FZ, resultant (degenerate) LWO & OBJ+MTL exports, screencast, etc.  Where should I send them?  Should I post to this thread, or send via email?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay.  Screencast coming still, but steps were as follows:

1. Create torus.

2. Export as LWO using default settings (Mac FZ 8.5.4) -> generates (incorrect) 84 byte "tor1.lwo"

3. Save as "tor1.fmz"

4. Export as OBJ using default settings -> generates (also incorrect) 182 byte "tor1.obj" & "tor1.mtl"

See attached.  Hope this helps.  Env is MacPro5,1 running 10.11.5 OSX, 32GB RAM, ATI HD7950 3072MB.

If you need more info, please ask.

TEST_LW.zip

Hi JWiede,

This is working fine for us.  Does anyone else have any trouble following these steps?

If you Quit formZ, go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences -- and rename the autodessys folder, does that affect the issue?

Or if you get a clean copy of formZ from here:

www.formz.com/update

does that fix the issue for you?

Hi JWiede,

This is working fine for us.  Does anyone else have any trouble following these steps?

If you Quit formZ, go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences -- and rename the autodessys folder, does that affect the issue?

Yes, clearing all my prefs (renaming existing and allowing FZ tor gen a new dir) caused the same steps to begin generating correct export outputs.  Thanks!

I have an archive of the defective prefs, only ever updated using app updates (and fairly minimal changes on my part), if you'd like to explore them for root cause analysis (the archive is 227KB).  However, as it may contain license & PII info about my config, I'd prefer not to post it to the forum.  Is there a place where I should send it?  Or is it not worth further RCA?

Thanks again!

Archived