AutoDesSys

controlling fillets

pipo

How to fillet with specific number of points ?

and/or how to fillet smooth  ( not facetted ) and then change the number of points to a specific number (facetted )

Polygonise tool does not work if you only want to adjust one fillet on a complex shape...or even a square

This was far more controllable in version 6.7

If you use fillet tool getting a smooth object... the number of points are controlled by display resolution of object before converting to facetted.

Although it is not exact as far as number of points you can get more or less from the smooth object. 

I want to be able to draw an arc with x number of points directly.....

I want to be able to fillet to a specific number of points directly.....

This is pretty basic stuff....... smooth modelling is all very good and all but sometimes the basic requirements are just....required !

I think the facetted mode needs to be a reinstated option for some tools , most importantly the 2d line drawing/editing tools

Hi Pipo,

With the Polygonize tool will allow you to convert a smooth arc to a specific number:  However, there is not a direct method to specify a rounding number to one part different to that of another.  We will consider your suggestions for the future.  ;)

So if for example i have a square , fillet all 4 corner points , I then use the polygonise tool and this distributes points around all arcs and the straight segments.

This is not desirable.

How can I change the number of points on one arc only ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been scouring the manual and forums for a solution to this problem.  Pipo is right, this doesn't work at all.  It used to be a simple thing to set the number of segments you want and just draw.  Now that option is gone??? This is as bad as the get/set attributes tool disappearing.  Do you guys pay attention to how your users use your product?

Let me throw an example at you:  Say I'm drawing the outline of a parking lot with all the different sized radius's you would see in a parking lot.  Say a big curve for the entrance is a 50' radius.  I only need 10-15 segments for that to render smooth in my rendering software.  Now I also have a bunch of small planting islands with 2'-5' radius curves.  I only need those to be 6 segments to get that same look.  With the current version I have to screw around with that ridiculous simple slider and keep converting it to a plain object and counting the segments, then undue it, move the slider and try again.  There's no reason for this.  And the whole separate a segment, polygonize it and reconnect it.... does that really sound like a good solution when a site model may require 100's of arch that require specific segmenting?  Now if you have one of these arches setup you could use the get properties tool and then go and set the properties on all the oth.... wait, never mind.

Aside from the architectural applications of fz it is surely essential to be able to snap to specific equidistant points on an arc or circle (with ease)

this is basic stuff and shouldn't require a 'feature request'

The above suggestion from tech is ridiculous (sorry tech) but the one step forward one step back (facetted to smooth modelling) is totally negated by the exclusion of these very basic requirements.

Need a better way....

Gentlemen,

There are many ways to snap to parts of arcs, or to Polygonize based on the length of the segment (which will automatically make the larger arcs have a higher resolution than the more shallow arcs).  And if you don't know the exact settings to use for the polygonize tool, you can just keep trying different settings without needing to undo or redo.  However, as noted previously in this thread, there is not currently a way to do exactly what you are requesting, and again we thank you for your suggestions and will consider adding this for the future. ;)

Archived