AutoDesSys

Match View Background

Hopefully learning new tricks...

Manual says:

"From it select Flat Image, which brings in a default image and places it as a background. To import another image, click on the Options... button (next to the Backgroundmenu) and in the dialog that is invoked click Load.."

fwiw, current RZ Pro here has no options button as noted above.  There is a little folder icon (with an umbrella or lock?) that does give access to the "load" button.

What I found when I imported my image, is that it adjusts the aspect ratio to the proportions of the formz window.  I was hoping to see the image in the proportion in which the photo was taken.  I see the original in the import thumbnail with gray borders top and bottom, but not in the full window.  

Consequently when I resize the formz window, the aspect ratio of the image changes.

I'm importing a 3264 x 2448 image into a 5k iMac.

Thanks,

Donald

Hi Donald,

Yes, click the folder icon to load the desired image.

Set the Display Menu: Image Options: Custom Size to the same pixel ratio as your background image so that they match.

(If you want to resize it graphically, then just use the Image Options: Window Size option.)

Does that help?

solve.tiffI am new to match view, so I appreciate the help and patience.

I found that match the view in my situation was easier if I created a wireframe model of the actual model.  The wireframe is just the most simplified geometry of the model containing the points I want to snap to.  It is another layer of the model and registered to the model.

As you can see in the image below, the bullets are correctly snapped to the related points in the model.  The wireframe model is rendered in a semi-transparent yellow.  You can see that while the control points go to the right place, the solution is "a kilter."

I'm looking for an explanation and I wonder if it is because the photo was taken with a drone with an extremely wide angle lens, which gives curvature to the horizon.  If that is so, I suppose it will not be possible to match the model to this photo.

Hi Donald,

If lines that should be straight in the photo are curved, then it is too distorted to match view perfectly.

If you want to make your file look like wireframe for view matching, you can Select All, and uncheck the Render As Shaded Surface from the Pick Options: Attributes tab.

Could you look at the attached?  The bullets go to the right locations but you can see that the model does not map to where the targets are.  You can look at the rubber band lines, the solid red lines showing collinearity, but the model points don't go there.  I don't know how to get this to work.

Donald,

We can't tell anything from the image alone, but you are clicking the Solve button -- right?

If you zip and send the FMZ file and the background image, we can check it out and report back.

But just to clarify -- your background image is a straight image that has only been cropped perhaps, and never stretch or straightened, right?  

(The background must be a "true image" in order to be matched properly,)

Howdy,

The background is a true image, but what I sent was a cropped version to keep file size low.  The image was made with a drone and it has a fairly wide angle of view.  Angle unknown.  Yes I am clicking on the solve button.  What I posted was the solution.  The model definitely moved and adjusted.  Problem is, that even giving it 5-6 points, major building corners do not move to where they are supposed to move.

I'll compress the model and post it.  Ok if I send a note to Paul H. with link?

Thanks,

Donald

I am uploading the file to a drop box and will email the link to support.  Sorry for file size---it's the image, not my model.

Again, the formz file contains the model, but i've also made a simple solid, aligned on a separate layer, so that the control points on the matching model are few and separate.  I put in 8 distinct points and can't get it to solve properly.  When you see the horizon that may give a clue.

Donald

Hi Donald,

Thanks for sending your files.  From the full background image that you have posted you can see major curving of the edge lines of the image.  Thus the image is very distorted because of the very wide angle lens that was used.  You will need to use a perspective image whose straight edges are actually straight in the image itself and not curved in order to properly use the Match view.

If you can't get a better image, then you will likely need to just get a view that is close, and "fudge" it by distorting the formZ image in Photoshop to make it match better.

Good luck!

"If lines that should be straight in the photo are curved, then it is too distorted to match view perfectly."

Mastery is often a game of knowing the tolerances for imperfection.  Not knowing them, I went with the speculation that since I was trying to fit the model into a narrow angle of the total angle of the scene, the curvature *might* be relatively flat and workable.  Zoomed in it all looked rather straight.  In fact, prior to solving, I saw red lines on the image which corresponded to the straight lines on the model----and they occurred on the lines in the image I expected them to.  What I couldn't figure out, was how formz seemed to understand where it was supposed to put the model edges, and they looked straight, but when I solved the match, it didn't put the edges where it indicated it would.  If those lines were actually curved, then in connecting them formz must have drawn them curved, since they matched the image in which the lines are thought to be curved.  And yet, it didn't seem plausible that formz was drawing the lines curved.  Finally, the mismatch in the solution was major, not subtle.

As always I appreciate the help from the formz crew, you are such a great resource.  I have since done matches on more normal photos and it works pretty much as advertised.

Hi Donald,

Good to hear that matching "normal" images is working as you would expect.   Unfortunately, since distorted images like the initial one are not "real perspectives" -- they can't be solved properly.  So as long as you have a standard image, it should work great!  ;)

Archived