AutoDesSys

Zoom in perspective MatchView slows down to nothing

Steve003

Hi,

FormZ Jnr

matchView, zooming in on my imported model I find the zoom gets slower and slower and I cant get at the bit I want so as to place the marker.

In Rhino slow zoom as one gets further in, is sorted by making perspective mode parallel not perspective, is this so in Form Z and how is that done ?

Steve003

Hi Steve,

Zooming with the Scroll wheel works relative to the current view parameters, and how far it zooms is determined by the length of the line of site (which is the distance between the eye point and the center of interest for the active view -- whose values you can see in the View Parameters Palette).

If you set the Center of Interest on or near the desired zoom location, then this can make zooming into that part easier. One way to do this is to use the Fit command -- and if you pick any objects and execute the (Command F) key shortcut, the picked objects will be fit -- and the center of interest will automatically be centered these objects. You can also try setting a smaller zoom in by percentage (closer to 100%) to reduce the zoom speed if you like.

When simply zooming with the Scroll wheel alone, the eye point is moved closer and closer to the center of interest, and the percentage for this movement is controlled by the Zoom Options (palette): Zoom In By value. Thus, as you get closer and closer to the center of interest, you will notice that the zooming gets slower and slower. When this happens, zoom back out a bit until the zoom speed is moving you a reasonable amount.  Then, hold down the Alt and try scrolling back in again.  This will then move the entire camera forwards, and the rate of zooming (also controlled by the Zoom In value) will be constant (since the distance between the eye point and center of interest is not changing).

The same is true when using Set View and the Center of Interest.  Note that there are many different ways of viewing with the Interactive View Navigation, and you can see (and customize) these key shortcuts via the Edit Menu: Key Shortcuts here:

post-5-0-06890000-1463523799_thumb.jpg

Does that help?

Hi,

dare not pick an object whilst zooming as I already have the matchView marker trying to pick it into place,

I try for the zoom backwards when it slows, then hold alt down and that does give me a new lease of life, only to find when zoomed back out and zooming in for next pick, its slow at the outset, whilst normally its fast early on, so again scroll backwards then alt and off we go again.

Wish it just scroll zoomed all the time at an even rate. much more intuitive, not had this before in other cad.

Steve

You do not need to zoom while matching a view.  Use the Match View: Tool Options for a close up pixel view for the background image, and then Snap to the Geometry of the file to correlate that 3d location with the pixel location.

Always holding down ALT when zooming will zoom at an even rate.  Selecting and Fitting an object will set the center of interest on that object.

Perhaps we are not understanding exactly what you need.  Please reply to only one of your ongoing threads if necessary, and post or send a file that explains exactly what issue you are having so we can understand and help.

Archived