AutoDesSys

components disappearing... damaged/corrupt

GilZ

Anyone else having issues with components disappearing upon project reopening, see attached error message? If so what was the fix? Tried moving to a new file, worked briefly but reappeared upon the last reopen. So far no luck investigating. I'm on a deadline, really annoying, not sure if it's project specific or what. No I haven't sent it to support, complex file, I'm curious. 

OSX 10.9.5, Fmz 8.5.4

post-371-0-91086300-1462528943_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have had components vanish today. I regularly saveas versions of my model, so I thought no problem, I will paste back from an earlier drawing, but they have gone from those too.

I have to admit, I get confused sometimes when choosing from the dialogue about updating component. I have done some purging of embedded components, perhaps that affected other models too. I also deleted objects, maybe I deleted a component instead, but there are 3 components which went missing. They actually show in the embedded components palette, but contain no objects any more, see attached.

It is a mystery, maybe user error but in future I will be more careful to just keep components for my library and always explode the components which I am using in my model.

post-242-0-12819600-1478973810_thumb.jpg

I have had big problems with this in the past. I didn't get that error, but all of my components vanished from my file. Tech looked into it, my problem was that in the embedded component library, the components were listed as being in the model but they were empty, the actual geometry had been deleted! No idea how that happened or why.

good luck

Thanks Shibui and Andyb.

I wonder if it has to do with

a) groups within components;

B) saving a file while components, groups or both are unlocked or parts are hidden?

Stupid emicons, you can't do a traditional b ) these days!

c) a wrong selection when the dialogue asks about updating component especially when it annoyingly asks even when switching focus to another open file;

d) components being saved as individual or new component after the last time a save had been while component was hidden?

e) legacy components, perhaps components originating prior to more recent program updates and fixes are still vulnerable?

Getting to the bottom of the problem takes time to investigate, time I unfortunately don't have spare.

Gentlemen,

There were some issues with Components early on but these should all be solved including AndyB's issue. (The only exception is with Nested Components, where there can be an update issue -- which should be corrected for the next update).  

From your first post -- editing, deleting and saving components could result in components no longer there, but we can't tell much beyond that based on the description above.

We have seen a couple of cases where working with components has incorrectly given the "Component Updated" message.  

We have fixed the known cases, but if you find a way to make this occur with the  current version, please let us know so we can address that as well.  

NOTE that if the "Component Updated" message ever appears incorrectly, you should simply select Apply to All and Cancel and it should do what you want without any issues.  

(But of course if you are specifically trying to edit a component, then choose Update..)

If anyone has any issues with the current version, please let us know and we will get that fixed asap. ;)

I too have had problems like this. Just last week I opened a file from last year and half of my components were gone! I can't figure out what happened? Why only certain ones? I do know some were groups that were then saved as components, but some were not. Anyway, it was a bit of a pain but I replaced them.

My file is huge, about 1 GB. I don't really have time to trouble shoot this. Just thought I'd let everyone know this is happening to more than one person.

Hi Allan,

If you have an old file with an issue, then it may not be possible to fix it automatically, but if you start from a working file in a current version of formZ, then it should not be possible to cause this issue any more...

The problem I had was not resolved really, although I am happy with the support provided by Tech and their efforts to help me. The work around is that (for now) I'm not using components anymore. Its clear from other responses above that others are also having difficulties with vanishing components.

Hi Andyb,

These issues should be resolved with the current version, so if you have an issue you can reproduce, if you can send the file and the details, we will do our best to get that corrected.  

And no one has had these disappearing issues using the current version, correct?

Hi Andyb,

These issues should be resolved with the current version, so if you have an issue you can reproduce, if you can send the file and the details, we will do our best to get that corrected.  

And no one has had these disappearing issues using the current version, correct?

Disappearing issue has happened when using old version components in new version file. In time we will see whether new components behave properly. Thank you for giving us hope that this has been fixed. I think the old problem was particularly so where components contained a group. Like others, I will try to avoid keeping components as components in a working file due to being risk averse. Beta testing is one thing but actual work is another altogether.

Component issues have been improving. My preference is to usr user components as multiple people in my company work on same projects with multiple files going at same time.

Some component issues I just had (these are components that have a components in them...then they are within groups in fez project:

1) After closing & savings projects components moved there position.

2) After moving the group containing components they exploded.

i had an issue yesterday with the latest version that made big part of my components (in this case fassade elements) moved and some of them flipped when reopening my working scene. the crazy thing is that also a much older backup (a file which i did even take screenshots from earlier and then saved as a backup version)  did show the same wrong positions. i moved the components into place and since then all seems to be OK -but  scary.

i cannot say exactly what happened to make things go wrong, because apparently the corruption did take place when saving an intermediary version (with increment file saver plugin -  while working on the scene. i did edit the geometry of  some of the components and also placed and copied components. i am also using some of the components as mirrored or / and rotated - as this is the typical usage when building a complex fassade.

also, i still noticed an old and many times reported opengl problem with  mirrored components where the solides become displayed as inside - out (flipped normals)...

markus

I have also had components vanish of late. I opened a large file that had been created recently in the latest version of Z to find that all the components in the model had disappeared. The components were embedded (Not saved out to another library) and were still embedded in the file, but all had disappeared from the model. Fortunately I was able to repaste them from an earlier version of the file, but it was worrisome.

I also found that when I mirrored the component the texture did not flip properly even though transform texture control was on. I'll explore that particular part later and send a sample, but I'm away from the studio for a week so it will take a while.

Like Andyb I had avoided components for quite a while because I found them rather glitchy, but the latest version of Z seems to be quite good with them (until this last event.)

After repasting the components there hasn't been a recurrence of the problem yet, but I'll explore further and let you know.

Thanks

Doug

i also seem to find an issue after i duplicate via context menu a component in component browser. when i select another component in the scene and try to use the replace compnent tool with the new duplicated component. result is empty / invisible / ? geometry. i could repeat this a few times with my current project under different circumstances. the only fix is to save the scene, quit FZ, reload the scene, then replacement works / is visible.

Hi Markus,

We have tested extensively with different files and as many variations on the steps you outline above but we are not reproducing any issues with this.  Does anyone else reproduce what Markus reports immediately above?

Markus, if you get a New Project, place a few of the included components, and repeat your steps, do you repeat the problem?  If not, but you do reproduce this with another file, can you please send that file so we can test with this here?

Archived