AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubir

program crash

I finally got Thea working much better by:

- reinstalling OSX update to 10.10.5

- reinstall "clean" formZ and delete prefs folder

- reinstall Thea app (and put only the Thea plugin in > FZ/Plugins)

- install CUDA (and in my case the so called "Nvidia Web driver", depends on what card you have)

Anton

I decided to try Thea this morning.  Here is what I found out so far:

Maxwell was rendering a scene just fine if I hit the render button once but if I made any changes to the model at all then hit render again Maxwell would just hang on the render forever and not process the image at all.  A restart was the only way to get it to render.  Then I uninstalled Vray beta from form.z and Maxwell suddenly started working fine again.  However, I was still faced with insanely long render times. 

Then along came Thea which I installed this morning (demo). I played with it for a while and found it interesting.  Then I tried to open one of my recent models that was set up to use Maxwell skies and materials.  Form.z immediately crashes with a render texture error warning in this case.  Crashes immediately on every single model that does not have maxwell dependencies. 

So here is where I start to guess on solutions.  My best theory is that Maxwell, Vray and Thea do not play well together at all.  In order to use one of these you must uninstall the others. 

When I open any of these models on my other machine (no vray or thea) they work fine. 

In the end you are correct.  They are 100% incompatible. 

I do realize that these programs are a work in progress.  Hopefully some day soon we will have the ability to install multiple render engines into form.z the same way that other programs do. 

System: Windows 7, dual 10 core Xeon 3.2 with 64 gigs Ram, 

Tech: please post this wherever it makes the most sense. 

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Regarding Thea and based on your description of the first issue you have probably come across a known bug of the plugin related to textures. If this is the case, it is a general issue (not related to other plugins being used or not) and there is a fix that will be included in a new version that will be published shortly. In any case, you can send any files that cause crashes to our form Z support e-mail and I will have a closer look. Thanks for your feedback.

Manolis 

Manolis

I have another general request for the Thea plugin.  In both Renderzone and in Maxwell we have the ability to mirror a texture in both the x and y axis when applying it to the geometry.  I know that I should be using only tileable textures but for the sake of speed sometimes I use the mirror tool.  Is that something that could be incorporated into Thea?

Maxwell has been giving me nightmares lately and I really need a different render engine.  I wiped my entire system and reinstalled everything again.  Unfortunately, it did not solve my Maxwell issues.  So I downloaded the latest Thea release and installed that. I also took out the Maxwell plugin folder from Form.z. I can get a new model to work (I am in demo mode) but if I try to load any previous models the program immediately crashes.  I would love to buy Thea and start using it but I am reluctant to start using something that crashes every previous model I have in my library.  Is there any fix coming soon?  Am I doing something horribly wrong?

Form.z 8.5,

Windows 7 64ibt with 64 GB Ram and (2) 8 core xeon 2.6 processors.  Nvidia Quadro 2200.

A bit more information.  I followed R2D2's suggestion and deleted my preference file,  downloaded the latest CUDA 7.5 from Nvidia and the Visual Studio file as well.  Form.z still crashes if I try to open any previous model. 

I also disabled virus protection and firewalls just in case.  I would also like to note that I have tried installing Thea on two very different machines with the same crash happening on each.

Edited by Andrew West

Correct.  Form.z runs fine as does RenderZone.  However, if I install Maxwell, Thea or Vray either the plugin doesn't work or Form.z crashes.  I only install one plugin at a time.  I have also tried for days now to contact Next Limit tech support.  They do not respond at all.  Ben from Pylon tech said it might be a licensing issue but that is outside his realm. 

Hello Andrew,

A new plugin version with various fixes and additions has been posted for licensed users. It will become available for everyone in the following days.

An issue causing this behavior has been fixed but I can't tell 100% if it's the same as yours without testing with a file.

If possible please send a file to formz@thearender.com so I can confirm.

Regards,

Manolis

Sometimes after rendering in darkroom, when I render again it seems the gpu is not activated (window bottom shows: devices=1)

Checking Thea options still shows Gpu+Cpu are checked (Presto MC).

Is anybody else getting this?