AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubir

program crash

Hi dubir,

Can you tell when the crash happens? (formZ loading/rendering etc.)

Also it would help to know your FormZ version and operating system.

Thanks,

Manolis

I have the same problem: Thea crash my formZ when loading.

After remove, formZ work fine.

Windows 10 - 64bits

formZ Pro v.8.5.4 with RenderZone

Sometimes after using darkroom I get screen artefacts and distorted full shaded mode in FZ.

I am getting crashes too, sometimes on opening another/additional file once OpenGL is distorted.

OSX 10.10.5 FZ 8.5.3

post-1027-0-12383200-1462276444_thumb.png

Corco and R2 thank you for your reports.

We will try to replicate and fix those issues as soon as possible.

If you have any generated crash reports you could send them to formz [at] thearender [dot] com

Regards,

Manolis

Sometimes after using darkroom I get screen artefacts and distorted full shaded mode in FZ.

I am getting crashes too, sometimes on opening another/additional file once OpenGL is distorted.

OSX 10.10.5 FZ 8.5.3

Hi R2D2.

I have the same screen artifacts. Seems like Thea has VRAM leaks during IR. The only way to get rid of it is a restart.

Anton.

I had problems.......crashed on start up with Thea, but formz worked fine when Thea was removed.

I had recently updated the nvidea driver.... so checked for any issues or newer update...it seems there had been several updates in a matter of days.

I updated to v364.72 but Thea did not work.... I reverted back to an old Geforce 353.90...Thea is working fine. 

Just checked, there is a newer driver 365.10....not sure whether to try it (maybe when I have less on)

Laptop; i7-36100QM...gtx650m ....6GB RAM.... win 7pro 

Further 10min. of testing:

How do I get an emitter to work?

Material Icons dont update correctly when using Thea Library materials.

Please check attached file: try full shaded. Objects just disappeared for me.

OpenGL: massive distortion

Thea Studio: cant quit, then crash :

Process:               Thea [4208]

Path:                  /Applications/Thea Render/Thea.app/Contents/MacOS/Thea
Identifier:            com.solidiris.thearender
Version:               ???
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Thea [4208]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2016-05-18 17:59:44.966 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)
Report Version:        11
Anonymous UUID:        

Time Awake Since Boot: 15000 seconds

Crashed Thread:        10  CVDisplayLink

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x0000000c

Question: is an update to the plugin coming?
(I will have to uninstall for now due to the OpenGL problem)

Edit: cant attache the file: it has 30MB (but theres not much in it, see pics, there must be something wrong with that ?)

post-1027-0-24975700-1463588295_thumb.png

post-1027-0-20030400-1463588302_thumb.png

Hi R2D2.

If I would be you I`d not use both Maxwell and Thea at the same time. There is no proof they are 100% compatible.

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

so I moved maxwell out of the plugins folder - still the same issue.

There are three objects in the file: two spheres (the right one being a predefined thea halogen emitter which I cant get to "emit" something) and a Box.

FormZ File size is 30MB...

Hi R2,

If you go to the FormZ File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files, and under Keep Textures, set this to JPG, and then save the file once more (or Save As), does that make the file small enough you can post or send to Solid Iris?

That took it down to 10 megs.

However - there is only one (Thea wood) Texture and almost no geometry...

And still nothing shows when in Full shaded mode, as noted above.

And it is dead slow, switching from wirframe to shaded takes notable time (Beachball, some seconds)

To clarify: my goal is to set up a test scene that uses only Theas predefined materials, and a light setting that sort of matches what I get in full shaded including textures, and what the Thea rendered image shows. So that (if I was to buy and use Thea) it would then make my "template file" to start off with.

Now I split it into 2 new files so that I can attach them here (0,3 and 4,8MB size).

Copy the block over to the two spheres file and set Interactive shaded textures to 1024 (or try higher), they show up now, but switching modes is slow.

There seems to be an issue with updating the materials icons in FZ when using predefined Thea materials.

Also of note when I then save the file it becomes 9,8MB ?

So if maybe somebody else wants to try:

thea woodblock.fmz.zip

Hello R2 and sorry for the delayed response,

How do I get an emitter to work?

Camera settings have to be taken into account when working with emitter materials and lights. By default Thea camera is adjusted for exteriors, this is the render after setting ISO at 400, Shutter Speed to 30 and f-stop to 2.8:

post-12511-0-75743400-1463992671_thumb.jpg

This tutorial contains extensive information on this matter.

Edit: cant attache the file: it has 30MB (but theres not much in it, see pics, there must be something wrong with that ?

The plugin doesn’t save any texture data, when “update shaded” is checked textures are assigned to the color/bump/transparency slots of the Shaded type (if applicable). Assigning the same textures directly in Shaded should give a file of the same size, please let me know if that's not the case. 

Material Icons dont update correctly when using Thea Library materials.

You don't get an update after changing the material ?

Please check attached file: try full shaded. Objects just disappeared for me.

Thanks for reporting this. As you mentioned in you last message this is most probably a textures-related issue although I can't confirm the exact source right now. The slow transition must also has to do with this. Do you get these results with every new scene you set up like that or did that happen only with the scene file you have sent? Since we are also investigating the OpenGL distortion issue it would help to know the hardware and formZ version you are running.

Thanks,

Manolis

Thank you Manolis,

(I should have found out about ISO myself, sorry)

What was/is misleading here is that I can get your result in Thea Darkroom, but in the main window I still get something different (see attached).

(Might be user error too - I dont know)

I turned off all lights in FZ and the Thea physical sky. After that the objects then disappear in full shaded mode.

And yes the icons are not updating correctly for me.

But I guess if nobody else sees this it must be something with my machine or install - I will email the crashlog for the details.

post-1027-0-76154600-1464004674_thumb.png

post-1027-0-93278300-1464004681_thumb.png

Thanks R2. Regarding the image difference, if you haven't changed the interactive rendering engine (Display Options > Rendering) you are rendering with PrestoAO (the default one) which uses an ambient occlusion component. Disabling it should give you the same result:

post-12511-0-00844800-1464073253_thumb.jpg

Hi Manolis,

here the images for Presto AO MC AMC from that file, all with same iso 400 settings.

In that file it seems disabling Ambient Occlusion does not make a difference for Presto AO.

But on a new file I dont get this anymore, so it works.

For the material updating I found the metallic paint does not update shaded correctly.

The Thea Wood works but I guess it slows down Z because the Thea mapping image has 3000x3000 pixels.

post-1027-0-82215700-1464081014_thumb.png

post-1027-0-44340400-1464081028_thumb.png

The Thea Wood works but I guess it slows down Z because the Thea mapping image has 3000x3000 pixels.

There are actually two 3000x3000 textures (diffuse and bump) but it should still be faster, scenes of the same or increased complexity run much smoother than the received file on the same machine.

Generally though, if you are using Thea materials with large textures and you don't mind keeping a separate Shaded material representation, you can choose to assign lower-resolution textures to the Shaded type (Extensions > Thea Render > Preferences > Create low-resolution textures...).

For the material updating I found the metallic paint does not update shaded correctly.

Confirmed, thank you!

Hi R2D2.

If I would be you I`d not use both Maxwell and Thea at the same time. There is no proof they are 100% compatible.

Best,

Anton.

Anton

I decided to try Thea this morning.  Here is what I found out so far:

Maxwell was rendering a scene just fine if I hit the render button once but if I made any changes to the model at all then hit render again Maxwell would just hang on the render forever and not process the image at all.  A restart was the only way to get it to render.  Then I uninstalled Vray beta from form.z and Maxwell suddenly started working fine again.  However, I was still faced with insanely long render times. 

Then along came Thea which I installed this morning (demo). I played with it for a while and found it interesting.  Then I tried to open one of my recent models that was set up to use Maxwell skies and materials.  Form.z immediately crashes with a render texture error warning in this case.  Crashes immediately on every single model that does not have maxwell dependencies. 

So here is where I start to guess on solutions.  My best theory is that Maxwell, Vray and Thea do not play well together at all.  In order to use one of these you must uninstall the others. 

When I open any of these models on my other machine (no vray or thea) they work fine. 

In the end you are correct.  They are 100% incompatible. 

I do realize that these programs are a work in progress.  Hopefully some day soon we will have the ability to install multiple render engines into form.z the same way that other programs do. 

System: Windows 7, dual 10 core Xeon 3.2 with 64 gigs Ram, 

Tech: please post this wherever it makes the most sense. 

Andrew

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this