AutoDesSys

Boolean Union

AHTOH

I have this very often: when I pre pick several objects at once and chose Union FormZ shows "Can`t execute smooth modeling operation". Selecting the same objects one by one does the drill. This is repeatedly happens to very complex models and makes me wait for the end of operation to pick another object to union. Today it takes 15 minutes each. And I have 10 objects to union with the main one. What a waste of time!

Previously (v. 3 to 6) I could click to objects one by one in sequence in order to assign these repeated task. But now I have to watch a beachball.

Dear Anton,

We are not sure why this would occur.  Could you perhaps have a small corrupt object that you are selecting with the first selection set that you are not with the second?

If that's not it, please copy only the objects in question into a new project, indicate exactly how you are selecting them (select all, frame pick from left to right, etc) and we will see why this might occur.

Hello Tech.

May be I did not express myself well. Every time I work on complex booleans I double check each part in order to have good geometry.

Say I have main object with perfectly clean simple geometry and another 10 additional objects with clean geometry. If I select all of them  and use Boolean Union. I will have perfect result.

If I have main object with perfectly clean very complex geometry and another 10 additional objects with clean geometry. If I select all of them  and use Boolean Union I will have error: "Unable to complete smooth modeling operation" in most cases. But if I Union main object with my other objects one by one I have proper union and clean geometry in the end.

But this is really time waste. I love my coffee more than consequential mouse clicks for Boolean Union.  :D

Best,

Anton.

Dear Anton,

Yes, we understand that.  We made a dozen different files that we think qualify for your description, select all, and try to Boolean.  

However, that works fine with all of our files.  Attached is just one quick test file we made.  

Bool.zip

Do you have the problem with this file?

If our file is working for you, but you have one (or two) that are not, please send those so we can help.

Hello Tech.

Thank`s for your reply. 

However this model is fairly simple and, yes, I have no problem to union it. But when we are talking of this kind of complexity that`s gonna be a problem. Try to union pillars to tower all at once and you will have the error. They can and where united one by one though.

Best,

Anton. 

Hi Anton,

We are checking the file now.  Are you trying to Union the Columns and everything together?

(That will create a VERY complex piece, and likely leaving it in a few less complex parts will give better results in the long run.  Or is there a reason you need to Union it all?)

Hi Anton,

There is a zero area hole or face in your objects, and these pillars don't meet "too nicely" as you can see here:

post-5-0-31589100-1461255746_thumb.jpg

And there is a TON of detail in these Column Capitals.  

post-5-0-96438400-1461255745_thumb.jpg

If this will only be seen from far away, and this part will be duplicated many times in the project, then you will likely benefit greatly from optimizing these polygons wherever you can...  After seeing the full scope of this project, with this level of detail, you will likely end up with too much data...

But back to the topic:   If I Frame Pick the objects on the top of the tower and click in the screen with the Union tool, I don't get any errors and it completes the union properly:

post-5-0-54478700-1461255745_thumb.jpg

I am testing with everything now, but as you note it takes awhile because it is so complex.  If you are really Unioning everything, are you sure it is wise to proceed with that course of action?

Hi Anton,

We are checking the file now.  Are you trying to Union the Columns and everything together?

(That will create a VERY complex piece, and likely leaving it in a few less complex parts will give better results in the long run.  Or is there a reason you need to Union it all?)

Hi Tech.

Actually, as I wrote above, this is already done with success. Also as I wrote before it is impossible to union it in one pass.

I need this in one piece as Thea Render only support one piece instances for external proxies. 

If it is interesting for you, project at this stage with full level of complexity (well, just little reduced :) ).

post-46-0-91017200-1461255453_thumb.jpg

Thea works like a charm. This low res was rendered in 2. 40 (minutes. seconds not hours). I don`t even want to think how many billions of poligons there. I doubt VRay can do even close.

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

There is a zero area hole or face in your objects, and these pillars don't meet "too nicely" as you can see here:

Hello Tech.

Yes I know. This was made by lazy hand in the very end. Yet it is already united.

Best,

Anton.

But back to the topic:   If I Frame Pick the objects on the top of the tower and click in the screen with the Union tool, I don't get any errors and it completes the union properly:

Top part might be not that complex. Try to do it with pillars. Here where the very juice is.

And yet — it`s done. Piece by piece. That`s the original question is. And this is not the only example for last couple of weeks. Selecting all things together is leading to error and one by one — to success.

Anton.

Hi Anton,

We use both Mac & PC's all the time.  Our Select all and Union (with formZ 8.5.3) just completed without error.  Did you do a Select All when you got the error with this file -- or did you pick it some other way?

And you did reproduce the error with the file you sent to us, right?

I need this in one piece as Thea Render only support one piece instances for external proxies.

Do they need to be unioned, or is joining sufficient to get them to be seen as one object? I'd think that would be much quicker.

There has been kind of a longstanding issue in general when working with a large number of objects - operating on all the objects at once can be exponentially slower than if you click through them one at a time (or in small groups.) I don't know if this is something that could be made more efficient in programming, or if it is simply the nature of the operation.

I haven't tested it in quite some time, but found in the past that having undos disabled is a necessity for that type of operation. (and I still do that as standard procedure.) Beyond that I always save/back up beforehand in case I need to cancel out.

Do they need to be unioned, or is joining sufficient to get them to be seen as one object? I'd think that would be much quicker.

Actually I found out today that I can jus join them which is much faster operation

I haven't tested it in quite some time, but found in the past that having undos disabled is a necessity for that type of operation. (and I still do that as standard procedure.) Beyond that I always save/back up beforehand in case I need to cancel out.

Oh! That`s useful. Thank`s.

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

We use both Mac & PC's all the time.  Our Select all and Union (with formZ 8.5.3) just completed without error.  Did you do a Select All when you got the error with this file -- or did you pick it some other way?

And you did reproduce the error with the file you sent to us, right?

Hello Tech.

That`s strange. I got that error repeatedly selecting with rectangle all objects. So I decided not to continue.

Anton

Did you test with the file you posted, and do you have any issues with it?

Hi Tech.

Yes I did. And it did not want to union all at once. Could be another beta issue?

Thank you for taking care.

Best regards,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

Well, if you test this again with and without any beta software loaded, do you get different results?

And if you get the problem without beta software loaded, can you be specific about exactly how you are frame picking (right to left, top to bottom, with or without pick crossing, etc)?

Archived