AutoDesSys

Logic of the Justification setting in Wall tool

¢hris £und

The way I look at it is as follows:

If you choose right justify then the wall is on the right if you are going from the top of your screen to the bottom.  If you go from bottom to top it is reversed and shows on the left.  This is true of the line tools and the rectangle tools. 

However, and this is where it gets interesting,  this is only true if you are drawing an object in open space.  If you create a flat floor plane or box and then try to create a wall  on top of it the tool reverses itself and the wall is on the left when drawn from top to bottom.  To get around this you have to select the Lock Reference Plane button on the bottom of the screen.  Then your wall will be on the right but you must then move your wall onto the desired location.  Strange but workable if you plan ahead.

Makes sense now.  Not as mystifying as I thought.   :rolleyes:

Andrew,   I think what is happening, is the Z is expecting the object to get extruded, which then flips the direction of the face  (it is considering what would be the face if it weren't given a wall.)  to insure that it is drawing all of the normals to face outwards. 

I suppose, that it should not anticipate that until the extrusion operation starts.

Does seem to be a bit of a bug for it to do that

What initially brought this up, was thinking that it should be labeled as inside, Center, outside.   Thought, that method would not work for objects that are not closed.

Ive been using FZ since 1993 and wondered that for as long as theres been a wall tool.

What version was the wall tool introduced with?

John

I have been using FZ just a bit longer than you and I think the wall tool has been in there from the beginning. I do agree with Chris that it should be labeled Inside/center/outside.  I would also love to see this geometry NOT considered an extrusion with a default texture mapping of FLAT.  This would greatly increase the speed of texture mapping.  In V6.7 the wall tool created geometry with a cubic default map.  There, I said it again.

what they are doing makes sense in it's own way. Problem is if you aren't looking at the direction of the geometry, it is easy to get it messed up.

I work a whole lot with flat geometry, and it will often get flipped.  Without quick and easy access to the "view normals"  it even makes it more cumbersome.

Still, Inside, Center, Outside would only work for closed geometry,  which is probably why they are doing it this way.

I don't care how you label them, but can we please make the wall tool consistent from the first click to the last?  I find it changes justification on it's own, no matter how it's justification is set when drawing closed shapes and other curved walls.  It is extremely annoying to have to go back and change the justification on the wall parameters when it was drawing fine from the first few clicks, only to reverse itself on the last.

Archived