AutoDesSys

Truss and Roof Framing Plugin

I recently have had a request for porting my truss and roof framing plugin (Medeek Truss Plugin) from SketchUp to FormZ.  I don't know a lot about FormZ and the state of its API or plugin development capabilities but before I proceed too much further I think it would be educational to understand the need for such a plugin.  My plugin currently is still very much in a developing stage, however progress has been fairly rapid:

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=63133&start=360

The plugin for SketchUp is written in Ruby using a lot of features of the SketchUp API, so I'm not even sure how difficult this might be to port to a different platform like FormZ, but it might be worth considering if there is sufficient interest.

MeDeek,

The word is that the scripting is going to change over Python over or possibly sidebyside with the current FSL (formZ Scripting Language, witch is essentially interpreted C with libraries)

There is also the full plug-in programming which is C++

There have been hints lying about regarding a visual scripting, but no word on when or any kind of specifics.

I for one am itching and drooling over they Python option, as I want to be a designer (industrial, though I have a potential for being a Truss designer for a local shop)   instead of being a programmer (ADS, which is why I don't jump into C++ plug-ins)

Never Delved into Ruby, so can't say how difficult it would be to convert it to python.

The API's are quite extensive (from when I used to do FSL on the old 6.x versions)  and they used to be quite helpful with questions.

I hope you come aboard, it would be phenomenal to have your script working in Z!

Cheers!

Archived