AutoDesSys

FormZ Free for Windows Questions

eselick

Hi 

I was very excited to discover the Free version of FormZ which I actually used as a student around 15 years ago and I'm definitely fed up with Sketchup. I watched the intro video for FormZ Free on Youtube and several features were mentioned that don't seem to be included in the version that I've downloaded. 

First, there is only one very limited material library containing solid colors. How can I access all the textures that were shown in the video including wood, glass, etc etc.

Secondly the video showed component libraries with window and doors. My component library is "empty".

How can I download and install the missing texture and component libraries for Windows? 

Thanks

Elliot

-

Hi Elliot,

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you only have a partial install of formZ Free.  If you Uninstall it, and then Disable virus detection software and Install it once more using the default installation settings, does that then include the Components and Material Libraries as it should?

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help!  ;)

Hi 

Thanks for the response. It's possible the problem was due to my installing FormZ on my drive D: instead of C: or because my anti-virus software was running. In any case I believe the installation is now mostly complete but I'm not sure.

The Place Door or Window components tool showed an empty library and I needed to figure out how to browse to the FormZ  Door and Windows folder and load them. Should they have been loaded already?

The materials palette still only showed the basic colors but the parameters palette does contain the various libraries which it didn't before. Is this how it's supposed to work?

There is only one introductory quick guide tutorial which is a real shame. The end of that tutorial refers to a second one, I think on sculpting. which is not present. Where can I find it and any others that may be available? Also there's some kind of glitch with the Tool Object palette which cannot be displayed during the quick start tutorial. I need to open a second project window to do the exercise. This may have something to do with Wndows 10.

Finally, how can I download a user manual in pdf form?

Thanks for the help.

Elliot

Hi Elliot,

The Material Libraries and Windows & Doors should appear automatically as shown below:

post-5-0-63568500-1459168399_thumb.jpg

If you are seeing something different, Quit formZ, go to your USER: App Data: Roaming folder and delete or rename the autodessys folder that is located there.  (Note that you may need to show Hidden Files to see your App Data folder.)

Then relaunch.  Does that help?

With regards to your Object Palette display -- what video card do you have, and what is the date of its driver?  And if the driver is more than a few months old, if you download and install the current driver (from the web site of the manufacturer of the card (or laptop)), does that solve the issue?

We don't have a PDF manual for download, but you can view it online, and if you right click on any tool, you can choose either Manual or Video to open the documentation associated page.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help. ;)

Hi

I believe the material and components palettes are correct now.

However I don't believe you answered the question about other quick start tutorials - are there any?

When I right click on the current tool and choose manual it works.

However It does not bring me to any videos when I choose video. A small empty dialog box flashes on the screen and then disappears. 

The same thing happens when I choose Help - Tutorial videos. I'm sure something is missing here.

Elliot

Hi Elliot,

Ok, yes, if you are unable to view the videos, then perhaps you need to install the current version of Flash on your computer.   If you download and install this version, does that fix the videos for you:?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_21_for_Internet_Explorer_-_ActiveX&os=Windows10&browser_type=MSIE&browser_dist=OEM&p=chr,gtb&dualoffer=false&mdualoffer=true&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus&d=Intel_True_Key

You can follow through most of the other Quick Start videos, but the Free version does not include all of the tools for all of the operations...

HI

My understanding is that Flash is a web based plugin. It's no longer supported in Chrome which was my default browser. However I changed it to FireFox which  still supports Flash and installed the plugin.

I also installed Quicktime on my computer in case you were using .mov files for the videos.

Unfortunately the videos still do not appear, the video window flashes and then disappears as before

Are these videos in the cloud or part of the install package?

If they are part of in install package what is their extension and where should I find them?

Otherwise what is an example url?

Thanks

Elliot

Hi

I rebooted my laptop and the videos are now showing :-). It's possible this was all that was required.

It's been a pretty painful process and you might want to retest and rethink the installation procedures/instructions for Windows 10

Thanks

Hi Elliot,

Yes, we should probably just install that Flash automatically in case the user wants the videos.  We will see if this can be adjusted for the future.   ;)

Please don't. Adobe itself is deprecating Flash. It is horrible, buggy, dangerous malware. HTML5 is the way to go.

Archived