AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AC1000

Hidden line method - line thickness

Hi

Is it possible to export picture to Illustrator generated by hidden line method preserving line thicknesses?

I adjusted interior lines to zero and tried to save first the thick silhouette lines without success.

post-13751-0-90697700-1458414977_thumb.png

Do not think so. I exported hidden line to illustrator using export line weight option of 5 then .5 thy both were 1 pt in illustrator?

The weights will hold up as bitmap psd, tiff etc

Yes, line weights should transfer if you save as Export Image>Illustrator. They may not look exactly the same as in the formZ window, but you can adjust them easily. In Illustrator, select one of your lines, go to the Select>Same>Stroke Weight and it will then select all of the lines with that weight in the hidden line drawing. You can then change all of them at the same time to be thicker or thinner using the Stroke palette. You could even put them all on a new layer so you can easily select them again later.

When exporting the file there is option to choose only one general line weight.

etroxel: I am afraid there is not any kind of line hierarchy when opening hidden line picture in Illustrator.

jsiggia: tutorial is great but 8.5 doesn't allow to export shaded faces to Illustrator. Just hidden line is possible - without line hierarchy.

post-13751-0-44984400-1458551274_thumb.png

post-13751-0-63609600-1458551290_thumb.png

Hi AC,

Currently the Export Image: Illustrator command does not export different line weights.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will see if this can be added for the future.  ;)

Seems its also broken for export image: dwg/dxf.

(Exporting a 3d dwg and opening that in illustrator shows some line weights and colour but at topview only)

As far as shading faces goes, I do this in Illustrator with the Live Paint tool because fZ doesn't export shading as you said. Once your lifework is in Illustrator, you can create a Live Paint group out of all your linework and then paint areas/shapes that are encompassed by lines with whatever colors you like. It goes pretty fast once you get used to it. The nice thing here is that the face colors can be changed as needed, and they are vector shapes still.

https://www.agitraining.com/adobe/illustrator/tutorials/using-live-paint

When exporting the file there is option to choose only one general line weight.

etroxel: I am afraid there is not any kind of line hierarchy when opening hidden line picture in Illustrator.

jsiggia: tutorial is great but 8.5 doesn't allow to export shaded faces to Illustrator. Just hidden line is possible - without line hierarchy.