AutoDesSys

Importing pointcloud data in .las format

Imagix

Imagix,

Normally the scanning software will be able to export in different formats.  If you are working with the person doing the scanning, can they just send you a different format?

Or have you tried a simple google search?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=import+.las+or+.laz+files&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

(Of course recommendations with people that have direct experience would be great, but I find that if I just try a few things I can generally find a solution reasonably quickly -- and I only post for help from others after I have already tried that.  And then I include what I have tried as a basis for the conversation...)

Or have you tried a simple google search?

I have indeed. What I have found is all complex solutions and software beyond me. I had already found Grass. Just installing Grass is a long process of downloading different parts needed from many different sources. I still can't even start it.

I have tried something called Potree, but can't figure out how to use it.

I am not generally software (or Google) incompetent, but these programs seems to be for engineers and programmers or something, requiring lots of experience and a workflow I am not used to.

So, I was looking for a recommendation. I would think there was a more user-friendly approach, but I have not been able to find anything.

Unfortunately, no. It's mapping/laser scanning data that is being supplied and updated yearly by the government.

My understanding is that a pointcloud is just that – a cloud of points. It's not geometry, so some kind of geometry-generation process is needed (in my case anyway).

Archived