AutoDesSys

Integrated Calculator

¢hris £und

I would love to have an integrated Calculator.     Scientific Calculator for that matter.

One where clicking on a myriad of fields would automatically populate it and the results could also automatically populate.

Such as to be able to pull data from any of the measurement display fields.

Should have access to the SDK so that we can add our own scripts and it be usable.

Floating palate and one with the measurement tool options if people are crowded for space.

Cheers!

Of course, one school of thought would be to just use the computers built in Calculator...

Problem with it is, when ever you switch over to it, then all the Z palettes go away, and you can't see the number your trying to work with.

Copying does't work from many of the display fields... so there is zero integration to the external calculator.

Chris

Agreed, and not only that, but give it the ability to work in feet + inches like a contractor's calculator for us architects using fZ.

Of course, one school of thought would be to just use the computers built in Calculator...

Problem with it is, when ever you switch over to it, then all the Z palettes go away, and you can't see the number your trying to work with.

Copying does't work from many of the display fields... so there is zero integration to the external calculator.

Chris

Sounds great but there might be too many differing kinds of demands, (by different disciplines).

Some of us want to extract and compute oddities like lists of various model parts, properties, etc..

I'd be happy if we could just get the tool name to automatically register in news object names! (instead of "object 22").

Or yah,  allow pallet  dialog texts to be copied for text pasting elsewhere. 

The ability to copy-paste picky numerical quantities adds important quality assurance of our work, efficiently!

Please bring it on  ;)

First, I want to know who DOES NOT have a calculator on their desk???  :)

I agree that being able to input numeric formulas for a 'solution' could marginally speed up workflow, but first, can we at least get the tools that require numeric input to automatically become 'active' and ready for typing input?  

It's really frustrating to constantly have to click in the input box that should automatically become 'active and ready for input' after selecting a tool that requires input.  This is something v6 and earlier did extremely well and made long time users love the efficiency.  An example of this not working correctly is using the Transform tool.  Why can't I just start typing the new scaling dimensions like you could in v6's more efficient pop up dialog?  Now it requires extra cursor movement and clicks.  It may not sound like such a big deal, but doing this 100's of times daily really adds up.  

I did light programming many years ago in college, and even so I remember being able to change a 'Target' to 'Active' which would solve this issue.  Perhaps it's a simple fix?  If so, why has it been ignored, as I've brought it up several times?

• 2 weeks later...

Vector works has this and I have found it tremendously helpful to input the math equation directly in the coordinate input in that program. I also like the ability in that program to be able to put in a numeric value in a different measurement system other than the set units. For example, while working in Imperial ft-in, to be able to put in the thickness of stone countertops as 2cm or 3cm for example. You can even add 2cm+3in in Vectorworks input. Or another example calculating an angular input, i.e. 360/22 on the fly rather than opening up a separate calculator doing the calculation and the entering it in formZ.

I use this a lot in Vector works (for example doing a circular array: 360/6 instead of 60º or a linear array when you have to fit a number of components into a fixed length).

Also use it in illustrator all the time if I need to scale something.

It is incredibly useful for simple adding together, multiplying, division and subtraction. It means you don't have to get out the calculator for simple calculations - would love to see simple calculations like this in FZ.

Archived