AutoDesSys

Numeric accuracy

Alan Cooper

Hi Alan,

The Drawing and the Numeric Accuracy are fine here.

However, there does appear that there is an issue with the  Linear Dimensions when using finer than the Project Settings.

Thanks for your report, we will get that "dimension readout" problem corrected.

post-242-0-31879300-1454061472_thumb.jpgTech, sorry to disagree with you. I deleted the dimensions, exported the fz file as dwg and opened it in Turbocad. I measured in turbocad and the measurements confirm as accurate, it is FZ at fault with modelling to numeric accuracy settings [or at least at the 0.5mm setting]. If there is also a problem with dimensions which I do not know about, that is more worrying. I really really want perfectly accurate models which also dimension accurately. Anything less is annoying and time-wasting, so I maintain that the numeric accuracy control should be removed or fixed as it seems unreliable to me, unless there is some other issue or control causing the problem, which should be highlighted to avoid the situation.

What really bugs me about this is that sometimes it keeps accurately to the 1.0000mm or 0.5000mm and other times it does not. When you start a drawing, check the dimension and it is good, you continue to model, expecting all to go as well as at the beginning. We should not need to have to continually check everything.

tech,

when you set the Numeric Accuracy in the Project Settings to 0,0001mm, you see that the problem is with the object and not with the dimensions.

You always have to work with GridSnap set to the accuracy you want to have.

I usually have to construct small objects for 3D printing and use in the Project Settings 0,001mm and the GridSnap set to 0,1 or 0,2mm.

that works fine

vva

I've changed numeric accuracy settings to 0.00010mm and number of decimal places to 6 and have started correcting my library components. You probably won't believe how much pleasure it gives me to check a measurement and see, for example 900.000000mm

Unfortunately all those decimal places make the text too much of a squeeze to fit for some smaller dimensions, but I can always make a change to decimal places for final dimensioning at the end of a project. Confidence while modelling is all - important!

hi Allan, 

when editing the "Dimension Styles" choose > "Use Custom" > Options 

set the "Number of Decimal Places" to 2 or 3 -or what you want 

so you have high precision in the objects but Dim's with short numbers

vva

Hi Alan,

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.  After further investigation, the Unit Accuracy WILL work as a grid snap unless you are also using Object Snaps (and snapping to geometry that is not on that grid) OR if you are using the Guide Snaps that are on an angle (which thus snap anywhere on that angular guide, producing a non-integer multiple value of the unit accuracy value).  We will adjust this for the future so that even when using the guide snap, you still also get the benefit of the inherent "grid snap" to the Unit Accuracy value.

Does that explain what you are seeing, and help?

Thanks Tech. I very rarely use grid snap, but use guides for snapping quite a lot. I wish the default extents of the guides went further or even infinitely but that is another matter.

The way the action palette displays the sizes of the object as it is constructed, even with grid snapping turned off, in the increments set for unit accuracy gives the impression that they are effective whether or not grid snapping is turned on, so I think it is misleading. Glad that you will be updating the unit accuracy value function so it works when grid snapping is turned off as well, thanks.

Hi Alan,

The Guide Snap is as shown in the center of this attachment:

post-5-0-12353100-1454283955_thumb.jpg

The Guides extend to Infinity (so perhaps you are confused with the Reference Plane Grid and its Parameters that control its size?).

The active fields will round their values to those set in the Unit Accuracy, but you can adjust that to whatever accuracy you like...

Thank you Tech, yes, I do tend to leave guide snap on, but not grid snap.

The attached screen capture illustrates why I didn't think guides went to infinity, perhaps I confused it due to hither and yon settings, but in view parameters, clip hither and yon is not selected.post-242-0-93110600-1454314333_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

Yes, thanks for the correction.  The Guides do not actually go to infinity (for performance reasons) but they do extend beyond the extents of the scene.  If you ever have a case where you want the guides to extend further, if you just draw a larger rectangle around the rest of your project, does that help with what you want?

Tech, yes thankyou, the rectangle suggestion is good, especially if it still works if hidden or on a hidden layer. It isn't often needed but occasionally when viewing from an angle where it runs out within the view taken up by model area, though in that case such a rectangle may need to be very large indeed. A shame it affects performance, in Turbocad they really are infinite....ah well.

Tech, sorry I was not clear, I wasn't meaning to refer to the rectangle affecting performance but the apparent fact that infinite snapping guides would do so in FormZ, although seem to be an acceptable level of performance drain??? in other software, maybe they use a different approach, inevitably there are differences and direct comparison would not be fair considering likely differences in other related complexities.

Hi Alan, I'm an architect and long time FZ user, maybe from version 2.6 or 2.7. Usually I work on cm and always I have used 0,000001 as my accuracy setting and 6 decimal places without trailing zeros, the same for angle options, and grid snapping at 1 cm. In this way, I have never had accuracy problems.

With this method the only inconvenience is that in mapping settings the coordinates are usually less precise and not rounded, with minimum discrepancies like ,000003 cm or degrees. Tech, please take note of this.

Best,

Marcelo

Archived