AutoDesSys

Add functionality to Extend Segment To tool

setz

In the following example the short highlighted segment can not be extended to the long highlighted segment.

Similar functionality as to the Extend Tool in V6 with Options set to: Segment/Segment.

(Is there another tool that accomplishes this?)

post-176-0-34175100-1453072346_thumb.png

post-176-0-89745300-1453072532_thumb.png

Hi Setz,

You could easily Move the desired point along the Guide (hold down the Shift key to lock it to the Guide) and then snap it to any point of the other segment.  However, the Extend may be a little easier / more versatile, so we will see if that can be adjusted for the future to handle a case like this...

Thank you for considering adding this.  If I wanted to extend the diagonal segment, with the new functionality it should extend to a virtual extension of the long line.  For now, if I wanted to extend the diagonal segment to the long line, When I Shift+space to establish a guide along the diagonal line and then try snapping it to a point on the long segment it does not snap.  I may be missing something as I am still learning the little nuances of V8.

The Curve Extend tool does not seem to work on closed lines.  Most of the times in which I use that tool in V6 is on more complex meshes or 3D objects.

If I use my file above and delete a segment to make the curve open, I can then extend the diagonal segment but I am unable to snap it to the virtual extension of the long line.  Your offer to re establish this type of segment to segment functionality is greatly appreciated.

The Curve Extend tool, if modified to work on closed shapes and segments on 3D objects, would be useful to solve request #1 here:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/3159-my-top-6-for-now/

I myself preferred 1 tool that had many options to the current model of many tools with few options.   Wastes space in the tools pallet,   slows down progress trying to hunt for the right tool (not every tool can have a hot key)  and wastes space in the options palette by not being used.

Archived