AutoDesSys

Getting myself back upto date - V6.6.2 user

brianharvey

Hello all.

I thought I would take this time over the holidays to get the wheels in motion regarding getting myself back upto date - However I've got a few concerns that I'd like to ask about as things seem to have moved on somewhat.

Currently I use V6.6.2 Renderzone Plus on a daily basis and love it - so much so that I seem to have got stuck in a rut and time has passed me by.

I'm Mac based  on OS 10.5.8 with a 2x 2.8Ghz Quad Core 2Gb 667Mhz Mac Pro Tower.

Ideally I'd like to keep the Mac tower for other duties and maybe run the new Form Z 8.5 on a new imac.

My questions are:

A. Is the leap from V6 to V8 going to seem totally alien to me?

When I jumped from V3 to V6 there was the option to change the menu to a classic view and I pretty much hit the ground running - I'm assuming this won't be the case anymore.

B. Will my previous projects from V6 be able to be imported, modified and rerendered in the new system?

C. How are formZ updates done these days? (excuse the obvious question) but I've got the existing USB key for V6 on my Mac tower, all updates seem to be via downloads now (last time I jumped from V3 to V6 I got a CD in the post) So if I buy a new iMac running OS X Yosemite, do I install my existing version of FormZ onto that machine - then download the update of 8.5 to that machine and resign the current Mac tower to other duties as V6 on that machine will become nonusuable?

D. Just quickly looking at the current iMac specs, say a Quad 3.5ghz 8Gb - that sounds alot more powerful that my current mac pro (which has been fine for my FormZ projects and render requirements for the last 8 years) would the iMac run V8.5 doing similar work okay? (render zone with A.O - producing A3 size 150Dpi renders and the occasional overnight rendering of a walk-though animation is all my clients need)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the obvious sounding questions - but I've had my head in the sand churning out work for years and FormZ V6.5 has been absolutely everything I've ever needed and pretty much rock-solid reliable.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the Forum! :)

formZ v8.5 does require OS X v10.7.5 or later, so it won't run on your old system, but it will work fine on a new iMac.  Here are the answers to your questions (in reverse order):

D.  While you don't specify exactly which processor chip your old Mac Pro uses, the new iMacs should be considerably faster and fully capable of running formZ and RenderZone just fine.

C.  formZ v7 and later no longer use the WIBU Key.  When you place your upgrade order, you will receive your registration codes and a download link for a full installation of the current software.  You don't need to install any previous versions to install this upgrade.  And you can continue to use formZ v6 on the old computer until you are familiar with the current version and no longer want to use the old version.

B.  There should not be any issues opening and rendering older formZ projects.  The one exception being formZ files saved on a PPC Macintosh system using formZ v5 or earlier.  These will (currently) need to be opened in formZ v6 or 7, resaved, and then they will open properly in v8...

A.  There have been quite a few changes to the formZ Interface between v6 and v7, and the formZ 8 interface is very similar to that of v7.  If you try to jump right into a project in v8, you will likely have some trouble finding everything, but we have created a Migration Guide that details the main changes, and if you spend a day or two studying these changes prior to starting a project, then you should  get up to speed very quickly.  Please carefully review this guide, as well as the rest of the information included in this forum post here:

If you have any further questions, please let us know, we would be glad to help!  ;)

In addition to purely formZ aspects, there are multi facetted OS and hardware issues to consider. There are a number of posts discussing these numerous  aspects in recent years. Users surely have differing, personalized needs, so one should feel free to elaborate interest ever more specifically. OR use key word searches to find specific posts of interest. (We are reserved nerds here ^__^)

There have been little or no processor improvements for pure 3D since 2011 or thereabouts. 

The 'free' Mac OSX upgrades seem more focussed on UI styling and media processing, (vids, etc…). I believe it is tricky to compare 'speeds' between OS versions. For all i know, computers suffer quantum entanglement and the issues of empiricism and phenomenalism ^__^

Many of us want to retain access to v6, along with v7 & v8,  which for Macs requires OSX 10.7.5  This OSX cannot be installed from higher OSX versions…. So, one should keep the older HDs with lower OSX, still intact, on hand, for installing 10.7 anew.  I am currently trying this because i'm not especially aided with the higher OSX 'free' versions, in a 2012 Macpro…  I want to keep 10.7.5 on a dedicated (cheap) SSD, while having higher OSXs on other individual SSDs, in case an advantage transpires… So one might google for directions, from OS nerds, to make an installation worthy dmg, (which is easy using Mac's Disc Utility)  After buying 10.7 from the ap store.  (Beware that ap store downloads of OSX cannot be saved without the nerdy workaround, follow instructions).   These seem to quickly plug into the Macpro without the special HD sleds, which provides efficient options when sorting out special OSX issues…

Dear Bo,

We are not sure exactly what you are saying, but it is possible (although not supported) to install formZ 6.7.3 on the current version of OS X (10.11.x) and in general this runs fine without issues.  If you would like to do this, and you have a newer version of formZ AND you already have a WIBU Key, please contact sales@formz.com and they can give you a registration codee and download link.  That should work much better than trying to run an old version of OS X with newer hardware for which it is not designed.

Here, thought I was the last hold out ;)

Regarding the user experience and ignoring the tech specs;

There are a huge number of changes between 6.x and 7+. IMHO, taking a gestalt point of view, it is positive and worth doing.

There are however some details that are frustrating. Biggest pet peeve, is there is yet to be an SDK for this version (yes, you can use the v7 SDK, but I don't really want to split my aging attention between two systems, I want to get into Python and run with it ( as Python has uses outside of fZ,where FSL, does not. My excuse for not getting into full plugins is, I don't have the time to put into that, in reality, I am just not smart enough, but it makes me feel better to think in the former sense. )

Aside from that, there have been a few tools that were depreciated, that are sorely miss. Others were lobotomized, and yet others were given multiple personality disorder. Some of the new tools add a strange redundancy that isn't necessary. Both with their internal set and with tools outside of their set.

In most cases, there are work arounds that you can do to accomplish the same, so it isn't as if it is a deal killer.

To turn this around from a negative rant, because again as a whole, the chants are good.

1. For me, HUD data is passed as you are working (rotate tool is an sample).

2. You can quickly translate objects with the pick tool (winch fundamentally changes its behaviors to where this is one that got the SPD"

though it is understandable, in this case)

3. The rendering (modes)

4. live Boolean.

5. Isolate/reveal (awesome, but needs to taken further)

Bo, I run my 6.x on my boot drive right along 8.5 running El Capitan. Instead of installing it, use migration assistant. This can be done before or after you set up a new HD.

Backup though! Seriously, back up the process uses some "interesting" insertion routines.

Wow, I definitely missed that news!   So 10.11.x returns the ability too run v6 again?  

Tech, do you imply "... newer hardware for which it is not designed…" refers only to recent Macs?  

I'm stuck with a 2012Macpro here, which might not have anticipated all the outcomes 10.11.x...

Neurascenic, What year Mac are you using?  

(I dare to be naive and learn much more that way :)

Bo,

Versions of 6 PRIOR to v6.7.3 require OS X 10.6.8 or earlier.  

formZ 6.7.3 WILL WORK on OS X 10.5 and later (not just 10.11).  You just need to download it from the link we posted above.

Installing OS X 10.9 or 10.10 on a 2012 Mac computer should be fine, but installing an older version may not properly support the hardware.  If you have a real reason to want an older version of OS X (formZ not being one of them), then make sure to check with Apple to be sure it is compatible.

I have posted before, here, how it would not install on my same 2012 Macpro, running 10.9.5

I probably could have better noted ,further assertions, by others, that it should install. 

I'm openly minimalist on reading installations manuals and such but it was only after trying repeatedly, for a time, did i quit trying further.

I've not tried it again since that time, but might eventually try again, now that i've got a few versions of OSX going.

FIrst i need to catch up on current work with v8.5.x  and also with my re-visitation of Coat 3D, in it's current big upgrade.

PS  

i just want to add that my failures to  re- install v6++  has been my only failed Mac installation in my 20 years of using formZ.  V6++ has been splendid for me before that. This forum is wonderfully open minded and formZ has been great for me- Allowing me to focus on my personal geometry, without too much fussing with computer issues.  The tech support and forum support are stellar :)

Somehow, my Macpro has this particular issue. Other than that, all is well.

Dear Bo,

If you FOLLOW the Directions on this page:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_6_Upgrade_Professional.html

...then you should not have any problems installing formZ 6.7.3 on OS X 10.5.8 - 10.11.2.

If you tried to install from an older DVD instead of downloading from that web page, or if you tried something ​else on your own, then it is possible you could have issues.

Please try EXACTLY what is described there, and let us know if you have any further issues.  And if you do (which you shouldn't, but if you do), please post that in a new thread...

Archived