AutoDesSys

Offset outline question

-andrew-

Hi,

I can't seem to figure out how to offset the outline of a shape drawn inside another shape.

For example, let's say I have a 40'x40' square with a 10'x10' square drawn in the center.

(I've tried a few combinations of arriving at this layout)

I want to then offset the outer line inward by 4" - that works fine.

However, I can't perform any operations on the inner square, which, for example, I'd like to offset outward by 4" also.

Any thoughts?

thx

Andrew

I sounds like you've drawn the inner rectangle without the insert option being enabled. You can't offset line segments from a planar face into empty space.

11zNR.png

If insert is enabled when drawing the second rectangle over the first you can offset the line segments outside/in and inside/out.

Andrew, sometimes I've found that even with the insert check box ticked, it still doesn't actually insert the lines into the face 100% of the time. This goes for Offset Segment tool too. In those cases, I use the Imprint tool to embed the shape into a face that can then be reshaped.

Andrew, sometimes I've found that even with the insert check box ticked, it still doesn't actually insert the lines into the face 100% of the time. This goes for Offset Segment tool too. In those cases, I use the Imprint tool to embed the shape into a face that can then be reshaped.

Thanks etroxel - good to know.

Yes, as Evan says, there are a few times (not that often) when the offsets don't insert.

However, they are easier to spot if you have Silhouette Edges (and Wire Objects) selected in the display options..., they show a bit thicker..

:D

Hi Des-

Actually I usually have Silhouette turned on most of the time as it makes it a lot easier to see things!

I am going to be looking into keyboard shortcuts to find out exactly what I can and cannot shortcut - that's a good candidate. 

Hi Gentlemen,

If you  ever have a case where an operation (like Offset with Insert) is not working as you would expect, please send part of the file that shows the issue and we will look

into this ASAP.

With regards to setting up Key Shortcuts, please see this Tip of the Week for more details:

http://www.formz.com/support/tips/tip85.html

Hi Gentlemen,

If you  ever have a case where an operation (like Offset with Insert) is not working as you would expect, please send part of the file that shows the issue and we will look

into this ASAP.

With regards to setting up Key Shortcuts, please see this Tip of the Week for more details:

http://www.formz.com/support/tips/tip85.html

Thank you!

Any tips for Easy Weight Loss or customer support for Microsoft Office?  ;)

Yes, this is exactly right.

Yes, as Evan says, there are a few times (not that often) when the offsets don't insert.

However, they are easier to spot if you have Silhouette Edges (and Wire Objects) selected in the display options..., they show a bit thicker..

:D

Archived