AutoDesSys Forums
Spacer

Fillet between 2 tubes - help lease.

Hi,

I am modelling wicker furniture. It is held together by wrapping bands. at junctions I'd like to give a filetted aspect to the wrapping, but I cannot figure out an easy way to do this. for example at the juncture of 2 tubes I'd like a filet. I have a long process of creating separate sliced tubes to creat a section I then extrude, make nurbz and edit (see image). Is there a more automated way? thanks.

Peter

post-9808-0-01514400-1448266310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spacer

Hi Peter,

Regarding the fillet, if the tubes are the same diameter, then they merge to a point (See "A"). Just boolean the tubes together and use the "Round Between Faces" tool.

I played with wrappings in "B" & "C" in this image by using the contour sections tool on the tubes and then sweeping a circle. Then I split, and rotated, and boolean union the rings.

I think "A" would suit better if you're using a lot, otherwise you'll have a huge file.

Des

post-16-0-58996700-1448273761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Des

Hi Des,

Ok so in "A" you gave me the reply I hoped for: i didn't relise I could use the "round between faces". regarding modelling 'real rings', i also did that in my model, which looks great, but snce this chair is a component to be repeated over 30 times, i am now making a version that is a lot lighter, and just mapping th eimage of rigns on  facetted tubes. I may use the rounding if I can get facetted geometry out of it which doesn't weigh too much. otherwise this is great just formy genral knowledge of FZ. i am currently learning v7, and am slowly wading through all the differences and new pwerful tools to learn.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Peter

HI Peter,

Glad Des was able to help.  Yes, there are a number of ways to combine and round parts.  Regarding making a component to be repeated many times, if you choose a low Smooth Display Resolution and then perhaps also Convert it to Facetted, that will make your file smaller and faster...

Tech,

I have made another version of my chair with almost all geometry converted to facetted with a scheme I made that's lower than the standard low res. I also got rid of detains with volumetrics and replaced with mapped simple objets. Just toggling visibility in th eObjects palette with the heavier chairs takes about 1,5 minutes...

Peter

ALso, is it 'normal' that when i place a component, it creates a whole group in the objectd Palette? it seems like it should creat an object(like V 6?)... of course I may have missed the new functioning in V 7, but it seems alot longer to edit components if they are heavy...before I could 'simultaneously edit'...???

I'll just add random stuff here instead of starting a new thread.. hope it's ok:

why did I lose soem Icons in the Display tools Palette. even if i restart FZ it's the same..

post-9808-0-74570200-1448289771_thumb.jpg

Dear Spacer,

If you have a file whose performance is slow and you have already followed our advice, please send it to support@formz.com so we can take a look.

If you want to Edit Components directly in the Project (like you could with Clones), choose Unlock Components from the Edit Menu.

We have no idea how your Display Tools Palette got customized, but you can "re-customize" it via the Workspace Menu: Tool Manager (and then close the Tool Manager before getting back to work), or you can reset it via the Reset Workspace command from the Workspace Menu.

Tech, the file is faster now with my 'second generation chair'.

the tool display palette won't return to normal despite me trying all your suggestions... a drag.

Otherwise, in general I am happy with V7. 

Glitch : Extending to faces in wireframe mode by selecting 'away facing faces' would be great to have back though.. I do that ALL the time.

onwards..

Peter

You can "re-customize" it via the Workspace Menu: Tool Manager (and then close the Tool Manager before getting back to work).

I think that's what they meant to say here...