AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spacer

Cylindrical mapping orientation of texture map?

Hi,

I am starting a new thread, though in a way this continues a preceeding one.

I want to map a leaf texture on a curved plane. the texture is 'vertically oriented', but if I mapping cylindrically, it seems that I should have oriented my texture horizontally. I cannot describe this very clearly, but maybe the SC helps:

thanks

Peter

post-9808-0-77863300-1447504696_thumb.jpgpost-9808-0-76692600-1447504712_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

thanks fo rthe input. But in a another post, an advanced member strongly recommended using cylindrical mapping with a curved form.

My point is that the cylinder mapping orients the texture map, and therefore a texture map needs to be correctly oriented to follow in the way I want. At least, that's my conclusion after trying.

cheers-

Peter

If you use the 'edit texture' tool in 'attributes' - click on the object and this lets you adjust the texture you can then rotate using 'rotation' 'x,y,z' fields.

Or try the flip button by mapping type "cylindrical'' this rotates your image through 90 degrees. Does this answer your question?

Hi Peter,

Yes, as Rob and Blue note, it is easy to rotate the texture map controls if needed.  Just use the Edit Texture tool, and use the 2d or 3d as necessary.

No, I don't think we agree.. I found that in my cse the only way to map cylindrically in certaibn cases was to re-orient the texture by 90 degrees. I think my model shows the issue.

thanks, Peter

(in the end i rotated the textures and it works fine)

Peter,

It is easy to rotate the way a texture is applied to the object.  You should only need to use photoshop if you need to mirror a texture.

If you have a (very small simple) file where this is not working for you, save the file and the image into a folder, zip it, and post it here.

Hi support,

I did post the file above. to be more specific, if you look at "obect 8" in the file and open texture map tool on it, you will see that the cylidrical mapping tool doesnt 'follow the curve of the form. when I rotate it to have the cylinder follow th eform, then my texture oes in the wrong direction.. see what I mean?

thanks-

Peter

Just click on the object with the Edit Texture Tool, choose Edit in 3d and rotate it, no?

post-5-0-38966900-1448039281_thumb.jpg

NOTE that cylindrical controller that appears will indicate how the map will be applied, and the bottom of the cylinder will be the bottom of the map.  And the height of the map will be determined by the height of the cylindrical controller.  Does that make sense?

Glad to help - got there eventually.

Sorry Spacer, I guess we all didn't explain ourselves properly first time round.

There's so much stuff to get your head round in FormZ and always several ways of doing stuff - but that's a good thing!