AutoDesSys

Rounding Faces

Hutchy1980

Yes, you can either union the handle to the body of the cup and then round, or do the Trim Stitch with Round in one step (but I prefer the method I outlined as you can see what is happening a little more clearly and trouble shoot the rounding radius if necessary).

Eh.....but i just posted that the trim\split method does not work for me anymore and you said "You will not be able to round the handle for reasons stated in the beginning of this discussion.  The very small segments of the facetted sweep handle will severely limit this, and its proximity to the lip of the cup will also prevent use of a large radius". So now your saying it is possible??!! I'm very confused.

Using your method, i get to step 5 and then select round and i get an error "one or more operands may contain incompatible geometery for this operation" or "Unable to complete smooth modeling operation".

Something is definitely going on with that handle... and that's probably why it won't round at the intersection. It appears that the handle is faceted and the cup is smooth. I'd go with all smooth objects, then trim/split, then union, then round the line where the geometry is merged. Or you can convert the smooth objects to NURBS and blend the surfaces together.

With it FACETTED it will not work.  If you did Step 1 it should be Smooth.

If you didn't do Step 2, then it will be very close to the top lip of the cup, which will limit your radius.

When you use the Round tool, you only want to round the segments where the two objects touch.  You can either Frame Pick these segments, or (in this case) you can use the Pick Segment Sequence option.

Back on the issue of using displacement mapping for the molded iron text effect, the most important considerations are: That you're using a 16 or 32 bit linear grayscale image for the displacement (32bit is better although a lot larger as this will contain more heightfield information and will manage against 'jaggies'). You also need enough resolution, I'd recommend 4k. The base mesh geometry often needs a certain level of subdivision (depending on the render engine you're using - check your documentation).

With it FACETTED it will not work.  If you did Step 1 it should be Smooth.

If you didn't do Step 2, then it will be very close to the top lip of the cup, which will limit your radius.

When you use the Round tool, you only want to round the segments where the two objects touch.  You can either Frame Pick these segments, or (in this case) you can use the Pick Segment Sequence option.

Got there in the end, thanks Tech, was having a bad day yesterday cheers for bearing with me!post-10653-0-23741300-1447409243_thumb.jpg :)

Thanks Anton, they look pretty good!

Ii've been having a play with displacement maps, my only issues so far is getting FormZ to load a 32bit map. What is the best format, the only one i can get to load successfully is a standard 8bit jpg? In the attached image you'll see the edges are quite jagged, if i adjust the smothness of the mesh i lose the definition of the letter.post-10653-0-54542800-1447420927_thumb.jpgpost-10653-0-13731100-1447420940_thumb.jpg

Hi Hutchy,

Glad the rounding advice got you back on the right track.

Currently formZ only supports8 bit images, but you should still get good results if your image resolution is high enough, and you use the proper displacement map settings.  (If you zoom in on your image in Photoshop and see pixels or non-smooth gradients in the letters, you will also see these in your model.)

DON'T use a JPG as they are not good at maintaining smooth gradients.  Do use a lossless format such as TIF or TGA.  Apply a semi-coarse mesh to the surface of your object before displacing it, and use the Adaptive Mesh settings.

Does that help?

Hi Hutchy,

Glad the rounding advice got you back on the right track.

Currently formZ only supports8 bit images, but you should still get good results if your image resolution is high enough, and you use the proper displacement map settings.  (If you zoom in on your image in Photoshop and see pixels or non-smooth gradients in the letters, you will also see these in your model.)

DON'T use a JPG as they are not good at maintaining smooth gradients.  Do use a lossless format such as TIF or TGA.  Apply a semi-coarse mesh to the surface of your object before displacing it, and use the Adaptive Mesh settings.

Does that help?

Tech,

Just so I'm clear. Is the limitation with 8bit images a FormZ limitation or a Renderzone limitation? I'm presuming/hoping that third party renderers aren't limited to 8bit image formats.

Cheers,

jm

Hi Jon,

Currently formZ only supports images with 8 bits / channel.  

Hi Hutchy,

Those "holes" look like non-planar faces.  In your RenderZone Options: Geometry Tab, if you check Decompose Nonplanar Faces, does that eliminate them? 

Thanks Anton, they look pretty good!

Ii've been having a play with displacement maps, my only issues so far is getting FormZ to load a 32bit map. What is the best format, the only one i can get to load successfully is a standard 8bit jpg? In the attached image you'll see the edges are quite jagged, if i adjust the smothness of the mesh i lose the definition of the letter.attachicon.gifCapture.JPGattachicon.gifDis Map2.jpg

I`d say any FZ accepted format is OK. JPEG is fine. Also it does not make any sense to use something more than plain grayscale. Also the more resolution both your image and your mesh have the more quality you get. Adaptive mode in Displace does not do much.

And as I.M.H.O. you did little too high embossing in your model. It does not look natural cast at least in compare with original photo.

Archived