AutoDesSys Forums
pipo

WIP and/or finished works gallery

Can we have a gallery of sorts to post current projects , modelling window shots , final renders.

The current Gallery is ok but a lot of the content is totally outdated

Separate threads would hopefully inspire ......with critiques and feedback indicating where the knowledge base needs attention

Hi Pipo,

In the past users have started a "image of the month" thread in the Tutorial By Users section.  Would posting there give you the opportunity you request?

Let's wait to gauge the general consensus

In most cig forums the 'gallery' tends to be the most popular thread...

Personally I would prefer a standard gallery thread within the normal framework of the forum.

Just create a new thread in Tutorials by Users, post your stuff, invite comments, and others to post theirs!

Why not??

If something better comes along (how would that be different), you can post there too...

"Separate threads would hopefully inspire ......with critiques and feedback indicating where the knowledge base needs attention"

It seems to me there might be too many differing design interests, (on this forum), to sustain feedback loops... Perhaps some other forums have gathered very similar design minds to share 3D works. 

I think that a number things would have happen first. Off hand these come to mind:

Unless several members break the ice, with continuing streams of there own work, on the regular forum, who else will break the ice? Continued posts without letting up, can feel hopeless, but only streams of posts would encourage more individuals to post there own things.

A sponsor would have to convince us that resources are happily assured to sustain large libraries of images, for long periods.  

In past years, large, images were posted and these required too much clicking  or scrolling for fast viewers. Besides, server costs might have been concerning in those days.

Another needed cost is to provide presentation consistency.  Where  designers may be too hurried already and may stop posting if repeated inconsistencies of presentation are usual. Administrators may not have time to assure such consistency.   How do you get automatic formatting so that pictures are easy to review? 

Sharing of 2 minute videos, clearly reveling nuances of methods, is what i would like to see...   I'm poorly set up to offer such things myself but would enjoy that.  An old saying here was... "let us see what you are doing"

Edited by Bo Atkinson

A few quick points:

Posting in the Tutorial by Users section should work well.  Feel free to choose whether you want to start your own thread, or add to one that is already started.  And if you start a thread and want it to be "exclusive" to your projects, just say so.

We would be happy to host the images, no need for any "external sponsors."  The images also post initially as a thumbnail, and you just need to click on them to enlarge, so that should not burden an "old / slow" internet connection.

Please post JPG images of an appropriate size.  We will let the artist choose what is appropriate for their content, but they should be less than or equal to ~ 5 Mb.

So if someone wants this feature, just post and get it started...

I'm thinking of an extended version of the slideshow on the home page.  Maybe 25-50 of the best "what you can do with FormZ" images or animations.

I've always been impressed with how well the Solid Iris team utilise their forum to create a sense of community around gallery submissions.

Thea is a relatively new product in the marketplace but by actively encouraging their users to upload and discuss their creative work they've managed to punch above their weight reasonably quickly. With the variety of new rendering options coming to FormZ I think a more organised approach would be beneficial. 

https://thearender.com/forum/

XRnC.png

Thats pretty much the defacto setup for most cg forums .

Hopefully Autodesys will suggest this themselves ?

Agreed. The point I was making was if a newcomer can can create so much traction with it's user galleries, there's no no reason for ADS to be afraid about a lack of user involvement if things are set up properly.