AutoDesSys

terrain model from point cloud data

pipo

I have point cloud data for a very complex terrain form (mountain range and valley)

Is it possible to generate a mesh from this data and if so how?

The contour lines for the is number several thousand and though they are at correct heights , i know z won't handle the calculation.

It fails on much smaller projects....the number of lines to check with the contour doctor also fails

Hi Pipo,

Currently there is no an option to generate a mesh from a series of points, but we are looking into that for the future.  You should be able to generate a Terrain from thousands of contours.  The factor that will determine how long it will take is typically the spacing that you have for the Mesh of the Terrain (and if you divide the length of your site by 100, and use that as the mesh spacing, then that would generate a terrain with 10,000 faces if the site was square).  If the Contour Doctor is not able to handle the check in a reasonable amount of time, can you please send a file containing only these contours so we can take a look?  And if you don't need the density of the contours, perhaps you could use every other, or every 4th contour to generate the terrain?

Thanks Markus

Actually used sandbox which has the other advantage of not requiring a site boundary

Took 5 hours ( formz still trying after 12 hours however I suspect it has failed....waiting for the mysterious awakening from 'application not responding' )

If formz could purloin a few (more) sketchup features ,one would have to be would be this sandbox type tool set 

Attached the terrain for interests sake and note we have generated terrains of this complexity but ten times larger using sandbox...

A private coastal landholding in Turkey about to be desecrated with development

eC8SLbq.jpg

nice! i found also this very interesting plugin for simplifying the terrain: https://valiarchitects.com/subscription_scripts/instant-terrain

see also the nice road tool from the same script developer...

please autodessys ( or some third party developer ), can we have such a tool suite some day for FZ? ;-)

cheers

markus

Hey Markus

Yes , one of our partners here is continuously astonishing me with the abilities of sketchup and its plugin (the above mentioned is an often used menu item)

So many pros knocking it (sketchup)  but the ease with which some very complex tasks can be achieved is undeniable.

(For us revit models are far more a curse than sketchup in terms of usability of data)

** fz should also duplicate the sketchup arc/curve tool...so simple to draw/maintain tangential curves

Hi Pipo,

Generating that terrain should be very easy in formZ.  If you haven't sent your file yet, please do so and we will see if there are any issues.

Thanks for the other suggestions, we will consider these for the future.  ;)

Archived