AutoDesSys

FormZ 9 wish list...

AsOne

I'm really enjoying the improvements brought to v8.5. Some thoughts for the future:

Soft Selection tool added to the Generative Design tools: add ability to do random selections via a Pick tool selection window.  known as “soft select” in other applications I believe.   Offer options for random percentage of objects to be selected (via numeric input and slider).  Also offer a gradient map option so that one could select more objects on one side of the section (or however the gradient map is drawn - could be radial wavy, etc.).  This feature would really go work well with the recently introduced generative design tools.  

Drop Down Menus: I would love to see a drop down menu for the following palettes:  Layers, Materials (not parameters just selecting materials), Line weight, Line type…also perhaps views and scenes.  They would be especially useful when working on a laptop and would offer a much faster and improved workflow.  Opening and re-closing the palettes gets tiring and is inefficient.  I know it is only a few clicks, but it adds up and a drop down to set those attributes would be great.  

Set Attributes: Ability to set current attributes by clicking on an object.  Similar to Get/Set Attributes, but it would set your current working attributes for new objects.

Reshape tool: ability to reshape by specific numeric distance (repeatedly)  For example, I could set it to 2” and when I click on the face of a cube it would grow by 2”.  

Further improvement of Shaded Full shadow edges (shadows in general look a lot better - thanks for adding the Gigantic setting, but try drawing something like a 1/2” x 1/2” metal railing and check the shadows up close…even with Gigantic they are still not up to par)

Select by Criteria palette:  update the material option.  Currently with only 8 small materials showing it is VERY hard to find the materials I want.  typically my models end up with a lot of materials.  I find this a very handy tool, but the interface is limiting its use.

Fix losing numeric input box while panning and/or placing a temporary guideline

Thanks for making the program great.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of my biggest UI wishes is that material and component selection in the viewport would be directly reflected in the corresponding panels. currently the way to select a similar material or component to the selected one in the component or material lists is more than awkward, involving several steps.

in case of selecting an existing material applied to a geometry:

1. select attributes panel in pick

2. click on the material icon

3. a list will pop up and the material editor too. the material is selected now - but you cannot use it yet.

4. if you hit just OK, the used material is DESELECTED again and selection will revert to active material in the materials palette. if you hit cancel, the same. I don't see the logic of this, probably a bug.

5. instead, you have to scroll through the materials palette list, manually select the same material as indicated in the attributes panel.

a simple click in attributes/parameters should directly select it in the palettes. or even better implement a hot key which selects materials directly - without the need to go through the attributes tab - when clicking on any part of the scene.

Z please can we have a more organised facility than this for a wish-list, one where we can add official likes [votes] to, so both you and we have ONE place to go to keep tabs on the latest development on our requests. It's nice to know it really is being looked into and hasn't been forgotten about. There are plenty I am still thinking about, and heaven knows whether they will be included in V9 having been excluded from V8.5.  ......edit, especially as I am so forgetful myself, I will probably just ask for the same things over and over again ;)

1.   A better method for selecting faces by click on 2 edges ....preferably a simple modifier key addition.

The current method has no mode indicator ..needing to go to the dropdown to establish this is not efficient

2. from ASONE above : Select by Criteria palette:  update the material option.

3. A sweep preview as in 6.7 or the ability to move the source after / during process

4. An additional ketchup-like arc/curve tool that EASILY maintains tangential conditions

5. Fix snap to perpendicular (to previous 6.7 standard)

​6. Edit Lines : fix trim lines tool (to previous 6.7 standard)

7. Ability to place Display Options in the palette dock

8. fix the bugs with tool manager

9. more flexible terrain modelling options (see sketchup plugins - sandbox etc)

Other than that 8.5 is magnificent

Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks for your suggestions, we are noting these and will consider them for the future (although we will not respond to each one individually).  A couple of quick / specific comments / replies:

Markus,

If you are in the Pick Options: Attributes, click on the Material Icon, and choose a different material from the dialog, that new material will be applied to the objects.   I don’t think it makes sense that this would also affect the separate Materials Palette, but if lots of others disagree we can consider this. Hopefully the Get / Set Attributes tool can be restored in the near future, which should allow you to easily get attributes from existing objects — and perhaps also add a context menu so you can just right click on an object and choose Make Material Active.

Pipo,

With regards to the 2 click face selection, you can easily set up a key shortcut to these menu items.  (If you don’t know how, see our Tips and Tricks!  http://www.formz.com/support/tips/tip85.html )

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions, we are paying attention!

Hi z

Didn't want to clog this thread but quick answer to 2 click face selection....

I have a key shortcut assigned ,the problem , though minor , is that there is no immediate visual way to

ascertain if normal or 2 click select is active ... Annoying to have to attempt a select or use a pull down

I love formZ! Thanks for making such a great program and for all the support.

1.- 4K UI

2.- Hologram

3.- Generate object 360 on a higher resolution

4.- A second Palette Dock with some level of customization (mouse over hide-show / horizontal / etc)

5.- Gravity (maybe a formZ LAB thing)

A translator from Old fZ files to New.   Even if it is a separate App to do so.  Luckily I still have my WIBU key... however, as I move into 8.5 more and more, it would be real nice not to have to go back to 6.x just to Round Trip an old file.

And as the OS's advance, the opportunity to use 6.x lessens.   We really need a translator.

Neurascenic,

Yes, we will adjust formZ to open these old files in the future.  There is a ton of manual labor involved to do that, though (which is why it hasn't been done already).  You can also use v7.3.4 to open and resave the files if you don't want to use v6.  If you are using OS X 10.10 or later, just make sure to apply the Hot Fix:

formZ 7 "Hot Fix" for OS X 10.10 Yosemite    

1. Auto pan for selection windows.   Currently the selection box stops at the edge of the modeling window frame.  

2. Operand Status palette.  Covered in earlier posts.

3.  Improvement in the Material Palette view options.  I like the new material group options, but the UI could be much improved.  I think someone posted about it a while back.  I will give my .02¢ later (more than I have time for currently)

Mentioned this already in an email to Tech but though I'd post the suggestion here too. Especially seeing as FormZ will have V-Ray and Thea as third party rendering options at some point in the not too distant future.

- An ability to have separate modelling and rendering resolutions (lower underlying poly count in the viewport but increased to a specified level when rendering).

This helps keep modelling operations zippy whilst ensuring organic forms show no evidence of their poly cage in final renders.

Keyboard shortcuts for the copy modes an for the topologic levels in pick tool (maybe it already exists and I don´t know it).

The ability to create custom navigation keys and mouse buttons (also, maybe it already exists and I don´t know it).

Better hatch control in layout, better sync with the 3d model. Also, the ability to turn off hatch snapping.

Fixing image hatches.

Moving dimensions´ text in layout.

Making a "master" drawing in layout so one could draw all documentation just once and control what would appear in each sheet just hiding layers.

Show layer groups in layout just like they are in the 3d model.

Snapping layout frames. Also, making sheet borders snappable.

The ability to create custom shaped frames, just like in FZ 6.

Drawing automatic section lines in layout in the exact place where the clipping planes are.

Colors and image textures in layout, linked to the 3d model.

Double clicking to repeat the last rehsape tool action (just like sketchup)

Locking dimensions when typing them. This is needed because if we move the mouse accidentally when typing, we have to type it again.

Faster text/notes editions. It´s really annoying to have to click the apply button all the time when editing texts. Maybe the "esc" key, or some other one, could be a shortcut for the apply button.

An all docked interface screen. I deslike those floating palletes everywhere. I always close or move them around accidentally. A good example is what adobe did with their products´ UI.

+1 Gustavo

My add- Adding texture and color information to the FormZ Viewports.

Anything that brings FormZ up to a higher level as an modeling/illustration program (i.e. not a pure illustration program such as illustrator), should be top priority.  I still find myself compelled by Sketchup, despite its inferior modeling tools, because its a great overall flexible presentation package.  FormZ had better modeling tools since the 90's, but it needs to be more well rounded with 8.5 being a great first step.

I'd love to see some sort of implementation of UV mapping that's as intuitive and interactive as all the other mapping tools in formZ... Of course by its nature UV mapping is anything but Intuitive but if anyone can do it it's ADS...  :)

Doug

I'd love to see some sort of implementation of UV mapping that's as intuitive and interactive as all the other mapping tools in formZ... Of course by its nature UV mapping is anything but Intuitive but if anyone can do it it's ADS...  :)

Doug

+1 from me on this.

And a good benchmark on how the process of UV unwrapping can actually be a fun process (can't believe I've just used the word fun in reference to UV mapping!) look no further than 3d Coat. 

http://3d-coat.com/

This short video below shows the simplicity of the 3d Coat workflow nicely (and things are even easier with hard surface geometry).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjiIL81sjxA

+1 from me on this.

And a good benchmark on how the process of UV unwrapping can actually be a fun process (can't believe I've just used the word fun in reference to UV mapping!) look no further than 3d Coat. 

http://3d-coat.com/

This short video below shows the simplicity of the 3d Coat workflow nicely (and things are even easier with hard surface geometry).

Yes, 3D coat does have a the nicest implementation I've come across yet. I've used it a few times for items when I've absolutely had to have something UV'ed, but every time I have to export something out and then re-import it's always so jarring, especially as the project gets more and more complex. I guess if I did it more often it would feel more just a part of the process but I'd love to be able to remain inside formZ. Hmmm... perhaps a 3D Coat plug-in... :wacko:

I also can't believe you used the word fun in reference to UV mapping... :rolleyes:

Doug

Yes, 3D coat does have a the nicest implementation I've come across yet. I've used it a few times for items when I've absolutely had to have something UV'ed, but every time I have to export something out and then re-import it's always so jarring, especially as the project gets more and more complex. I guess if I did it more often it would feel more just a part of the process but I'd love to be able to remain inside formZ. Hmmm... perhaps a 3D Coat plug-in... :wacko:

I also can't believe you used the word fun in reference to UV mapping... :rolleyes:

Doug

I was really only referencing 3d Coat for the ADS devs. It really does show that there's a more intuitive and friendly way of creating a useful UV unwrapping workflow. 

As for hopping between applications, it's what I have to do all week long with my clients. It's not unusual for me to be working on projects using 3ds Max, Maya, Modo, C4D, FormZ, Mari, Substance Painter/Designer, Nuke/Fusion and Photoshop in the same week (and using a wide variety of render engine technologies to boot). I sometimes forget this is the equivalent of 3d hell for the vast majority of folk!

• alphabetized list of tools in the Tool Manager...see below

•  Reorganize Favorite Tools list by letter (space bar) so that they match the way the NURBS and Subdivision lists are handled.  Look at NURBS vs. Loft organization for example.  I prefer the NURBS organization.  As in Lofts should be:

Loft

Loft Branched

Loft Guided

Loft Path

Loft Perpendicular

not having to hit "B" for Branched Loft, "G" for Guided Loft, etc.

I'm not sure how many tools are not grouped like NURBS, but it's more than just Lofts (Sweeps, Components, Text, etc...)

post-31-0-71092200-1446754378_thumb.png

post-31-0-94199200-1446754381_thumb.png

Archived