AutoDesSys

Component - Align with View Issues

Duncan303

I'd set up a project with a lot of trees (using components) as a landscape background for a structure and had set several views and everything was working fine as I'd set my components to align with view.

I did a set of renders of the views and then had to make some changes to elements of the model. All of a sudden the components are no longer aligned to view and have all rotated around their ctr points to an arbitrary angle. Also in shaded and shaded full they are no longer showing their image map but are just solid colours. They render fine in relation to their image map but not their alignment.

Is this a known issue with components - i rarely use them to be honest and the times i have in the past they have worked fine.

Any suggestions??

Hi Duncan,

That's strange, can you please send a portion of your project that shows this so we can take a look?

As far as fixing it, if you go to the File Menu: Project Info: Linked Files -- are there any image files that are not properly linked -- and if so, does relinking them help?

And as far as the Components, if you use the Select By Criteria Palette to select the tree components (via component name):

post-5-0-04768400-1445260073_thumb.jpg

Then get the Pick Tool: Parameters, and uncheck -- and recheck Align to View, does that help?

This has happened to me in the past.

Just save your file, quit and restart FormZ and reopen the file. They should all be facing the camera again.

Otherwise, using aligned to camera works great with hundreds of components for me.

Des

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah quitting FormZ and reopening seems to do the trick.

Also it's happened a couple of times during this project and not sure what action suddenly made them change. It's just all of a sudden the components all rotate and become unresponsive to changing the align with view in parameters.

I've tried relinking the texture maps but it just keeps making the file crash. Whats the best way to share file with you Tech??

thanks.

Hi Duncan,

Yes, as Rob notes, you can send it via any online service, put it on your FTP, or ours:

ftp.formz.com

name - dropbox

pass - i8ugdl

If you do put it on our FTP, please send an email to support@formz.com when the upload is complete and let us know the name of the archive.

Like others I can't pinpoint how it happens exactly. Other than if I remember correctly, usually after working after a long session with many components aligned to view on large files "I think".

Again this is from "mature recollection", I had many plants made from older versions (maybe going back to 5 or 6) where the flat "billboard" plant components were drawn with vector line following the plant profile which added a lot of data on top of high resolution image maps. I ended up recreating them onto rectangles with alpha to reduce the point count but with the same rendering results. It seemed mostly stable after that which leads me to believe it to be cause by the video card memory or something like that?

I hope I'm not confusing the matter with my fuzzy description...

If I come across it again I'll record the screen.

Des

Archived