AutoDesSys

New to FormZ Hello and help please...

dgood133

Hi, I hope this is the right place to put this, I am totally new to Form Z and finally attempting to learn the software I bought almost 2 years ago.

I ran into very strange behavior just now while attempting to teach myself basic modeling... I was loosely following the 30 min house video on Youtube. 

Everything went fine until I got to the part where you apply a material to the model. 

So you understand I am writing this because this is now the 2nd time this same behavior has occurred in as many days...

Once I apply the material to the glass in this example my model goes nuts. The work plane disappears, I lose the visible lines for edges, including when using a tool which needs those edges like the offset segment or reshape tool... nothing I do will effect this other then turning off FormZ and restarting. 

Interesting note I made a copy of the file this time before attempting the material thing and it not only effected the file I was working on but the copy as well...

I get crazy ghost lines going everywhere, the model itself is ghosted and in multiple places at once. 

It reminds me a bit of a bug splat that used to get in Sketchup a few years back, I have been using that for set design for years now

I have attached screen grabs here please take a look and if you know whats causing this please let me know. I am not on a job right now so I am hoping to use this time to learn but...

after restarting file it seems to be fine I haven't tried using another material yet...

Appreciate any help or advice 

Thanks

Dpost-12294-0-63043400-1442702727_thumb.jpgpost-12294-0-72268100-1442702736_thumb.jpgpost-12294-0-45953100-1442702745_thumb.jpg

AS an update I had attempted to continue working through without using any materials just to learn the tools

Not possible as now the tools are not working the offset segment tool no longer registers its alignment with any other segment or even the mid point, the reshape tool as well does not register when it has moved into alignment

It was working before and now it just isn't, and oh yeah I am continuing to get the ghost images

seriously this blows, I wish to god I had tried this software first instead of just purchasing but I was on a job had no time now I am wondering if this even works...

Hi Rob, from your pic its obvious whatever is wrong is on my side... and its specific to FormZ because none of my other software is having any issues

This is what I see at first open the model is upside down I turn it and the fun begins...

This is from just now, I would have responded minutes ago but form Z crashed before I could take a screen grabpost-12294-0-74777100-1442711228_thumb.pngpost-12294-0-37607600-1442711233_thumb.pngpost-12294-0-34255100-1442711237_thumb.pngpost-12294-0-63715400-1442711241_thumb.pngpost-12294-0-69072900-1442711248_thumb.png

when I purchased this software 10.9 wasn't even released, requirement was 10.7 although now on their site I see something about an update requiring 10.9 for ATI cards, nicely done...

this is just great... not even sure you can even et 10.9 now since apple is following windows lead on the whole release the OS before it ready thing...

I suppose that does make sense for the problems I am having, funny how modo 901 and sketch up and adobe suite painter etc...all work perfectly...

I have resisted updating the OS as I use this machine for work I don't have time to mess with any issues that pop up because of things like that, but I suppose now I am forced to fix something that is not broken...

Thanks for your assist Rob

D

If 10.9 was not released, you did not purchase v8.0 as your first version.

Mac OS upgrades are pretty painless.  Don't update the first day, but after a few weeks, it should all be good.

If you have critical software, just email them, and make sure it is ok first.

But all the software you list works better with 10.9 or 10.10...

Yes Rob as I stated earlier I bought this first almost 2 years ago formZ7 I then went to china for work and never got a chance to use, I am now back in usa and decided to try it out finally...

10.9 was horrible when it came out my co workers spent almost a week just getting their stuff to work and they were only using office software..., I do huge 3d and 2d work all the time, I don't upgrade unless I absolutely have too.

I didn't upgrade to 10.8 from snow leopard until probably a year or more after release, I never used Lion thank god from the reports I get from my peers

Yosemite gets 3 stars on the App store :)

I met a man in Beijing who owns a print facility that had his entire system down talking about probably 10 machines for a week because of Mac OS so called update... he had to run his printers off his old laptop in the meantime

The only thing worse then a mac update might be a windows one... Ask anyone who does serious work what they think of windows 8

I have sent an email to autodesys to see what they think, you are probably correct that it is my os and if so then maybe I will just have to forget Form Z and spend the time I would spend here learning  MODO In the end I jus want to be able to do my design work, I don't care what software it is only that it works

I do appreciate your taking the time to try an help me Rob, please don't mistake my frustration with this for any irritation with you  :)

Thanks again

D

Hi David,

Yes, as noted on our System Requirements:

post-5-0-93000000-1442839284_thumb.jpg

formZ 8 and later with ATI cards needs OS X 10.9.2 or later, because Apple fixed major bugs with their video driver with that update.  If you can not update your OS, then using an older version as Rob suggests would be best.

In addition to major improvements to the OpenGL display (which demands more from the video card / driver), formZ has added Subdivision modeling, Generative Design tools, and much more.  You can find information regarding the formZ 8.5 and 8.0 updates in the News section of our web site:

http://www.formz.com/home/news.html

(You may need to scroll down a ways for the 8.0 release notes.)

Hope this helps...

thank you Guys, I  do appreciate your help

the issue I have is that I cannot get osx 10.9 " the one that is considered stable, I can only get the brand new one which people are pretty much hating… This is why I do not just upgrade my OS

10.8 is very stable everything other then Form Z8  and Safari works… From what TECH said it seems the real culprit here would be Apple which does not surprise me at all given my experience with them

on this issue…

Can you give an honest assessment of whether form Z7 will do what is  needed? was 8 really that huge of an improvement? I do all my 3d now in Sketchup Pro 

and render in either Thea or Modo depending on the needs of project. I wanted a product that would interface with sketch up  as I have used it since 2005

I am very fast and accurate with it so at least for foreseeable I don't see abandoning its use… 

I am a concept designer Film / TV so when I work I have no time for glitches or buggy behavior from my tools...

But I also want access to more robust tools such as Nurbs and subdivision surfaces. If Form Z7 will do those things then I will just use it here and upgrade when I but  a new worksation...

I am researching the OS thing but right now very skeptical of Apples Yosemite

ThanksD

Archived