AutoDesSys

Question: Rotate to Grid Snap

¢hris £und

in 6.x,  I was able to rotate to a grid Snap.   in 8.5  only the º increment appears to matter.

Is there a trick I am missing?

If anybody is wondering, why I need to do something like this, 1/3rd of my efforts is in documenting flat patterns (not nice rectilinear shapes as shown here)   that when they are flattened, they often will fall in a messy orientation.  So, I go through and clean up to make the patterns more human readable.

See Video;  cheers!

Put the cursor over the corner, press Command Space and a Guide will be created.  (Make sure Guide Snap is on.)

Then you can do exactly what you want. 

Command Shift Space will remove the guide if you want to get rid of it...

Hi Chris,

Yes, Command Space is the default key shortcut for creating a temporary guide -- but Apple has also recently added that key shortcut as a Spotlight Search, so if you have that Apple shortcut set, it will execute that function instead of the one defined in formZ.  If you want to keep that as your Spotlight Search, you can set a different shortcut for formZ via the Edit Menu: Key Shortcuts:

post-5-0-57286400-1442234862_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rob and Zweb!   For the scenario I specified it works pretty well.  A little more cumbersome (dependent on existing geometry) than it used to be, but I am ok with that.    Other scenarios, It appears to be not solved though.   (snapping to a 45º or something other than perpendicular without building extra geometry).

For Constructing, the new method is clearly superior and well thought out. and in no way should go back the the old way.  However, for deconstructing and mapping for documentation...  

Request:  a hot key to override the Angle Snap so that the Grid snap can Shine through.

Cheers, and thank you again!

I agree.  We've been missing the ability to easily rotate objects back to Ortho that are at an arbitrary angle since v7.  We should not have to draw a temporary guide to do this.  The automatic guide that pops up 'forgets' Ortho as soon as you begin to rotate.  If it stayed available as one of the snaps, it would work perfectly.  I believe this is a bug in the rotation guide tool.   In fact... it was supposed to be fixed...

http://www.formz.com/forum/old/messages/16/89150.html

An Ortho Guide would work for me pretty well too.  Though, I would still like a modifier key to turn off the Angle Snap.  There are circumstances where I snap to other angles to the World coordinates too (though Ortho is most important)

Funny though, I never actually used the Ortho Guide in 6.x.   Just the grid Snaps.

Have to admit, Bam Bam is fast.... and usually who cares... however, it is twice as long as Bam   and over a large project where there are hundreds of patterns and my cutter is chomping at the bit to get things cut... that adds up to hugely slower.

• 1 year later...

Archived