AutoDesSys

grid density

archigraphica

I'm making the transition to 8.5 (from 6.7) and I'm kicking and screaming but I'm determined to do this.  To the point I just spent a ridiculous amount of money (for me) putting in a new super fast workstation.  I've also decided to throw 20yrs of hot keys away and go with the defaults where I can. What's became abundantly clear with V7+ is there's a path to efficiency where as in the old version you made your own efficiency.  I'm going to start throwing my questions out and hopefully get this figured out.  

first off an easy one:  I always turn off the grid and axis under display but for some reason the variable "workplane" that moves around as your drawing new objects seems to vary in density.  Sometime's it shows a grid of 5' and other times it shows a grid of 2".  How do I change this?  I would be happy if it was a simple square or shape showing where the plane is.  I don't need a grid to work.  I like to set the grid size and snap to it but I don't need it cluttering the screen.

DWG's:  90% of my projects start with multiple DWG's from the client. This project I'm working on now has 2 floorplans, a roofplan and like 9 elevations.  Even with this ridiculous video card I installed it still boggs down.  The old solution was to join the DWG's together.  Not a very practical solution as the colors were important to differentiate the various aspects of the floorplan.  in this version I've tried joining the individual plans into components which doesn't seem to help.  Even turning them off just having them in the file causes the viewport to slow down or studder.  

justification woes:  One of FZ's biggest assets has always been the wall command.  With all these new features when I'm drawing out a multiple wall segment (like I do multiple times on every projects) there's still no way to change the justification with a hotkey?  left-center-right?  Even a toggle between the three?  It's a detriment to have to go up and select a pull down to change this.  

and finally get/set properties?  I see the copy attributes command but that adds an extra unneeded step.  If I want to add to an existing model I have to select a similar object, look at the attributes, then manually select the material/layer. Am I missing something?  If not the old way was much better.  And even if it wasn't add it back as an option.  

All that being said I am enjoying 8.5.  It's a serious step forward with lots of potential.  thanks.

Johnathn 

Hi Johnathn,

If you Lock your Reference Plane, then the "auto" grids will not appear (but they will not be active either).  If you want them active, but not as dense, you can just set a larger grid spacing and / or fewer divisions via the Reference Plane Tools (at the lower left of the screen).  Right clicking on it and choosing Video will take you here:

What video card do you have?  And if you download and install the latest video driver from the manufacturer of the card, does that help your performance?  If not, please let us know what operating system you are using, what exact card, the date of the driver that you have installed, and send a copy of the file to support@formz.com so we can help further with this.

Currently there is not an option to change the justification of a wall with a key shortcut, but we can consider this for the future.  For now, if you like, you can finish the shape and then change the justification as long as the shape is still (orange) in the result buffer.

We will also see if the Get / Set Attributes can be restored.  Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help.

Thanks for the reply.  There's 2 of us using 8.5 on the same project and we're comparing notes and figuring out what's going on.  (one Mac one Win 10)  I'm using an I7-6 core with a Geforce GTX Titan X 12gb video card.  Driver 355.82.  16gb ram.  bla bla bla. I primarily stick with Nvidia because I just haven't had good luck with the other one.

Some of these things are what we're calling "graphic annomalies".  Such as changing to the color of an object using the Paint tool and it doesn't change on screen but shows it's changed in the attributes.  Also the grid density I mentioned was where I had the grid turned off but it still had an active workplane grid with like a 2" density.  We're having to close out Z and reopen it then it's usually fine.  We've also also had some what looks like ghosted objects that weren't there. (and we don't use the ghosted operands) Point being when I run across something weird I'm closing out and reopening and that seems to be working.  Now is that a driver or Z or Windows 10... I have no idea.  I'm combining 3 fairly new products so I'm hoping they'll work themselves out.  Oh, and sometimes when exploding a component the normals appear to be reversed but they're not.  Same solution.

Our consensus is we're spending too much time looking at the menu's for feedback.  We need it at the cursor, what ever that is.  Maybe a more complex cursor "option" that shows justification/insert/etc.  The stuff that's used repetitively and often.  I would also be happy if I could set a hot key to each justification.  I just a wacom and space explorer so it would be easy to set those buttons and I would cut down my keyboard interaction by half.  That let's me get things done quicker.  Then I make more money.  Then I buy more software.  Good for everyone. Is there anyway to set that spacebar popup thing to have the justifications on the bottom?

As for the get/set attributes, how about this:  If you have an "shape" tool active cntl-click (or whatever) on an existing object it changes layer/color/line weight/etc to that object then the next click you start drawing.  That would be ridiculously fast to build an arch model.  Then take it one step further and add a "configuration" palette so you could have user defined setups like "exterior wall" with layer/color/etc.   Interior wall, roof, foundation, whatever the user wanted.  So much of what we do is repetition this would be very useful.

thanks,

Yes, that's a decent card.  If you have any performance issues, please send the file so we can help.

The Favorite Tools (that appear when you press the space bar) are Tools -- an not options, so there is no way to add the justification options (at least for now).

Thanks for your suggestions, we will consider these for the future.

Archived