AutoDesSys

map texture tool - best match not working?

3dworks

this tool seems to be broken. it can not fit a texture even on a simple plane, whatever option i use 'best match per face' or 'best match per object'. did anyone use this succesfully in FZ 8.5? only manually adjusting the sizes works.

Hi Markus,

The Best Match is not a "Fit Texture" tool, it applies the Best Matching type of Texture to the faces of the object -- so if you have a cylinder and apply a Best Match Per Face, then the Top and Bottom faces will get Flat Mapping, and the curved sides will get a cylindrical map.  The Edit Texture tool can then be used to adjust the size of the texture on the objects, and the Default Texture size in the Material Parameters will determine the initial size that it will be mapped before editing.

Does that help clarify?

ah, not sure why, but i thought it did 'fit' the textures as well in the past - maybe in FZ 6.x? but maybe i'm just confused, because i do 90% of the texturing in other 3d applications like LW modeler, where i'm used to have such a tool at the reach of a mouse click. you will find it in any other major 3d application which deals with texturing. if this feature does not exist (or never existed, apparently) in FZ, it is badly needed. ;-)

Archived