AutoDesSys

360 spherical camera for VR/cardboard

rich f

There was some discussion on this previously, but I wanted to revisit. Not talking about the realtime/Oculus stuff; just the simple Google Cardboard-type viewer. People in our office are pretty jazzed about this lately, and it is practically a one-click operation to generate from Sketchup/VRay or 3DSMax. It's a bummer to say I can't do it from FormZ.

Is there any chance of a 360 stereoscopic camera coming anytime soon? Or will we need to wait for "advanced unnamed rendering engines?" I see Maxwell has a 360 camera, does that work with FormZ?

This stuff isn't exactly new; we had Quicktime VR how many years ago? I thought at the time that there was some kind of FormZ workflow to generate those. (maybe stitching together 6 90º images?) Though that didn't have the stereoscopic aspect.

Have had success exporting cubic panoramas with render zone and I guess the maxwell one works just the same.

An '.fbx' export option would be a great addition for moving models to other software - that would be a great first step (this seems to be a frequent request from a lot of users).

Archived