AutoDesSys

default display options ?

ingoerik

Hi Ingoerik,

The Display Options are saved in your Template file -- which is typically an "empty" file (maybe containing a ground plane) that has all the project settings you like, like appearance, lights, materials, display options, etc.

You can save this file anywhere you like, and then designate this via the Edit Menu: Preferences: Project settings.  Then every time you get a new project, a copy of this Template file will be opened automatically...

Hi Ingo,

Yes, Imports "probably should" use the template, but currently they do not.   Just Copy and Paste into a new project after importing, or use the Add to Project Import Option (at the bottom left corner of the Import Dialog) to get what you want.

lol, thanks. I have to streamline the DWGs before importing them, thats why i need my display options. Another "probably should" is for me the import option move to xyz-coordinates in the transform dialog, i wanted to move the dwg to x=0 and y=0, but that never worked.

Hi Ingo,

The Transform dialog is an offset distance -- not a "move to" but we can consider that for the future too...  However, if you are using that, then Exporting back to the other program, the data would no longer align...

Hi Ingo,

Ok, so an option to automatically center the objects at the origin (based on their bounding box) would do what you want?

FYI, it is pretty easy to move the object to the origin.  Just Select All, get the Move tool, snap to the part of the drawing you want at the origin, type: 0 tab 0 tab 0 and then press Return.

And if you note the coordinates after you click, but before you type, you will know the offset distance that you could "reverse" if you wanted to "re-register" the objects with their original coordinate system.

Yes, that would be a nice option especially when i have to import several dwg files. They are often way out of the coordinate system and basically unreadable on the monitor, but sometimes its also based on the wrong scale so i have to test what the correct transformation is. And i dont have to re-register the objects, i just import and than start  building my model.

i remember this was requested already years ago. i'm having this issue as well every time a new client is sending me DWG files. why can't we just get import presets, where all these settings are stored? this way the user could store specific settings for import and export, which typically are re-used for different clients. it was one of my hopes for FZ 8.5 - maybe in 8.5.1? ;-)

cheers

markus

Hi Ingo,

The DWG Import should import at the correct scale if you set the Units that were used in the project in the Import Options.  If you are Importing multiple files, you can choose them all at once and with the Add to Project option, import them all into the same file using your desired template preferences.  They should all import "registered" to one another, and then you can do a single transformation to move them to the origin.

Hi Markus,

We can consider this for the future, but we are curious, what different types of settings would you save for different clients?  (Do you typically need to change that many parameters?)

as most clients use some kind of autocad add ons, 90% of the files i get as DWG have different kind of offsets (sometimes with almost astronomical distances) and scalings, these are typical for each studio / configuration. sometimes, it it just convenient to move a certain project area to a different origin for further 3d processing. then it is useful to keep that offset also with later versions of reference DWG's.

a workflow dream would be to have FZ optionally automatically find the center of a drawing and reposition the drawing, once you know the csale. then offer the user to save that offset and scale as a preset.

Archived