AutoDesSys

davidorth

Hi, folks,

Could anyone explain to me what the depth blur sliders mean or how they work?  I have been experimenting back and forth and I still feel like it's an accident if it does what I want. Not even sure what to ask. I think I get the meaning of "end of near blur" and "start of far blur" - but perhaps I don't understand the idea of a percentage distance from the hither plane.  First, measured in which direction - toward or away from camera?  Second, a percentage of what?  A percentage of the distance from something to hither I imagine.  But what?  I fear even my questions are confused.  I take it yon doesn't figure - just hither?  

Wish I could just set hither and yon and know that I would get tight focus inside the box graduating toward the max blur both directions.  Or just to have some generalizable settings that would keep things sharp between hither and yon.

Could someone point me to a tutorial or diagram?  The page in the Renderzone manual, hasn't helped me so far.  Is there an aperture setting involved that I am not aware of?

Confused,

David Orth

Marc Adams School of Woodworking

Tech, I had found that page and read it several times.  Sorry, it doesn't answer my questions in a way that I understand.  It must seem obvious to most folks what the "distance from hither" measured as a percentage means.  Does my question about a "percentage of what" make sense in this context?  And if I can figure that out, which direction is the blur in - near or far of some plane or point (hither I presume, but can't tell for sure).

Petter,  I had discovered your wonderful work around with Photoshop. This is nice and I have been using it for my main image (attached - altar and cross for a chapel.  Still, I'd like to figure out the native FMZ method so I can do it quickly on multiple images.

Davidpost-11263-0-87528700-1441717316_thumb.jpg

Hi David,

If you make your camera visible, or go to the Cone of Vision, you will see the graphic representation of your camera / view:

http://www.formz.com/manuals/formZ85/formZ_Pro/!SSL!/WebHelp/formzpro.php?url_str=03082_Cone_of_Vision.html

The planes at the ends of the "cone" that are perpendicular to the line of sight are called Hither (close) and Yon (far).

Does that help?

No, I understand that.  Sorry for the disconnect here.  Let me ask again this way.  From the manual and the tool dialog box I gather that the near and far blurs begin at some distance from hither - a distance to be given in terms of a percentage.  But a percentage has be a percentage of some value - a distance value in this context.  So what is this distance, that we are inserting a percentage value for?  Perhaps the distance from hither to eye-point? ... to focal point? ...to yon?  or something else?  .... hither to yon?  Sorry this is pretty basic and I'm sure you must just intuit it by now.

Once I get clarity on this question, I'll have another, i think, about direction of measurement from hither, but for now I just want to understand the distance value that the percentage is of.

Ok, I'll try this out, but next question first.  So, if the distance from eyepoint to hither is 100', then if I set near blur at 25% will the near blur begin at 25' feet from hither on the near side of hither or far side of hither?

Thanks.

Archived