AutoDesSys

Tips about bottle designing

Nemesys79

Hi all!!!

My compliments for this great forum.

I just started using this piece of software,

coming from Cinema4D and Moi experiences. (Mid-low user experienced)

I'm wandering about the fastest and simplest way to model bottles.

I mean, starting from a background image, using splines and point-to-point modelling,

using sweeps and revolve techniques.

I need to model various models, from a simple 750ml detergent to a more complicated motor oil one.

I followed with success all the initial tutorials,

now i have to study a way to obtain a clean model, to be exported in .stl for 3d printing.

At the moment, i'm trying various softwares, i have to "marry" the best for rapid prototyping ;)

Thanks,

Nemesys

Hi Nemesys,

Welcome to the forum!  

Depending on exactly what you are trying to create, using the SubDivision Surfaces may be the easiest -- perhaps something like this:

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/formZ8proIntroduction.html

Does that get you going in the right direction?

And if you don't think that is a good way to go, can you post a picture of a bottle that is similar to what you are trying to create?

Hi Nemesys,

Welcome to the forum!  

Depending on exactly what you are trying to create, using the SubDivision Surfaces may be the easiest -- perhaps something like this:

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/formZ8proIntroduction.html

Does that get you going in the right direction?

And if you don't think that is a good way to go, can you post a picture of a bottle that is similar to what you are trying to create?

Hi Tech!

Thanks for the answer!

You can take as example this bottle, motor oil,

as well as injection addictives ones, and detergent also.

To be honest, i'm a hardware repair expert for computer/3d printing industry, but a poor 3d designer.  :rolleyes:

I need to learn some basic skill to produce working prototypes, 3d printers resell/repair are not enaugh to overcome costs...

you need to make 'em work!!

In the meanwhile, i'll study the webinar you sent me,

i'll let you know if it's my case  ;)  Thank you so much

motor-oil-bottle-isolated-3d-render-1870

Ok, i skipped the architectural part, gone straight to the subdivision focus.

I think it could be good, expecially if you're going to model a "personal" shape model, but,

what if i want to model a pre-made model,starting from a photo (in cinema 4d i use to put in the front view background a photo to model on)?

What if i have the four views of the model and how to set up views?

Edit: Found this http://www.formz.com/forum/old/messages/142/13481.htmlin the old forum archive, but cannot see images :(

Use the Palette Menu: Reference Plane Parameters to add an Underlay.

Use the Measure Tool with the Underlay Option to measure -- then Update the Underlay to the desired size.

Or use the Edit Reference Plane to size and position the Underlay...

Looks like a fun project, but it may be a bit advanced as a beginner project.  Start small, play with the tools, right click on the SubD tool and choose Manual -- and follow along with the more simple examples before taking on your full project.

Also, definitely familiarize yourself with the Move / Parts of objects, and using the SubD Swap command...

Use the Palette Menu: Reference Plane Parameters to add an Underlay.

Use the Measure Tool with the Underlay Option to measure -- then Update the Underlay to the desired size.

Or use the Edit Reference Plane to size and position the Underlay...

Looks like a fun project, but it may be a bit advanced as a beginner project.  Start small, play with the tools, right click on the SubD tool and choose Manual -- and follow along with the more simple examples before taking on your full project.

Also, definitely familiarize yourself with the Move / Parts of objects, and using the SubD Swap command...

Thank you rob, just becoming familiar with tools.

I set up reference plane successfully,

in the meanwhile i found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNucQ83__w

showing exactly what i was searching for.

Hooked up a second monitor, following step-by-step!

I'd like to create a model, starting from the standard 4 views i have,

so it's not too far from that.

I'll update as soon i have decent results ;)

:)  Guys, your answers are welcome (as a beginner, thank you), but you misread me:

I meant already existing filets and caps—the ones that are standardized(?), so that you can take a cap from a water bottle and it will fit perfectly on another water bottle with a different shape. Any experience with that? Is asking the factory for the "standardized" 3D file the way to go?

Archived