AutoDesSys

Cursor display

wjo53

Is it possible to change the default cursor to something other than the Extended cursor?  I find the Extended one's motion jerky, not a smooth motion, but the default one is getting difficult to see these days, a lot of times I have to move it around to the extent of the display simply to find it.  Eyesight isn't getting better with age.

Not an appreciable amount - it's easier to see, I'll grant that, but even in a light file with 2 cubes, translating one, causes points on it to flicker while it's being moved - a heavy scene gets real sluggish.  The movement all in all isn't as fluid as with the 2d cursor.  It's the 2d cursor that is used - it just needs an option to be made more visible.

On 8.0.2, graphics card is an Nvidia GTX760 4Gb - drivers up to date,  processor is I7-980 - 12Gb RAM

John

Hi John,

Can you please zip and post or email a file that is showing this issue for you?

Does it matter if you have a drawing tool, or the Pick Tool?

Did that card come with your computer, or did you add it, and what is the date of its driver?

And does anyone else reproduce this?

I would also like to see an option to adjust regular cross hair cursor.  On my laptop, it's no issue, but on my 27" imac. it is easy to lose track of the cursor.  Not a fan at all of the extended cursor.  For the regular cursor, if you can't offer full custmization, maybe just "normal" and "bold" options.  I like the normal cursor for fine work.

Win7-64 - main display - 27" monitor - resolution 2560 x 1440 - second monitor - 22" - 1920 x 1080

I added the card - driver ver. 355.60

Just tried to capture a screen grab illustrating the relative size of the cursor, but it doesn't get grabbed with the rest of the info.  What I've done, is to fake the cursor size to illustrate my point re: visibility.  Get a bunch of objects in here, and less than perfect eyesight - and it can get lost in a hurry - forcing the need to move it to the edge of the display to bring it back to the windows cursor - then moving it back to where I'm working.

Re a scene displaying the motion of the extended cursor - I can zip one, but it's real simple - draw two cubes and translate one by grabbing an edge.  Compared to a 2d cursor, the motion isn't as fluid and goes downhill fast as more complex objects are added.

That's the way I see it.

Or not.  :-)

John

post-388-0-38668100-1439495316_thumb.png

I'm with jtucker... exactly the same thoughts.

The extended cursor works OK for me, particularly if I use 'reduced extents' : 40px - but I'd generally prefer to use the 2D cursor, apart from the fact that it is easy to loose on screen.

I don't have any technical software issue - simply just one of visibility of the 2D cursor.

FYI: My primary monitor is 27" widescreen at 2560 x 1440px.

Ok, thanks for your suggestions, we will see if we can add a cursor size control for the future.  Currently there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this on Windows (other than using the Extended Cursor), but on OS X, you can control the Cursor Size via the Accessibility System Pref:

post-5-0-07462300-1439498059_thumb.jpg

For a kick, I just tried the extended cursor on the laptop (1680x1050 - built-in Intel3d) - and there's no comparison.  The fluidity on the laptop is very nice, whereas on the desktop at home, it's not - to the point of being unusable.  The desktop has - should have - a lot more processing power than the laptop, yet falls behind for some reason.

There is a place in Windows where you can change the cursor sizes and icons, and it does work for selection in the palletes and menus, but as soon as it's moved back into the active job window, it changes back to it's normal size (the 2d + cursor), which to my way of thinking sounds like it's formZ controlled, not the OS.

Any improvements will be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Yes, that desktop video card should be more powerful, and there should not be any lag with the extended cursor.  Perhaps there are some settings in your video driver that will make the extended cursor more fluid?  Have you tried resetting those settings to their defaults?

Archived