AutoDesSys

Getting Textures from Rhino Model

DMclean

Has anyone had any luck getting a model complete with textures properly mapped from Rhino Windows into fmZ Mac 8.5? I realize the 3dm import is still a work in progress, and I'm glad to see it working at least nicely on the geometry end of things.

So, we've tried the usual culprits.

Export a OBJ... no joy. The objects come in with only one material applied to them all and only one material showing in the materials palette, in spite of the fact that the mtl file contains two materials, and the jpg maps are sitting in the same directory as the export file. There are no missing files listed in Project info, there just seems to be nothing linking the appropriate textures. Lightwave seems to read the textures on import as does Modo (I had an evaluation copy to test this out)

Let's try DAE... Sigh... Slightly better. The materials all show up in the palette, or at least they seem to. But they are all black and have nothing linked to them. In addition the Project info shows no linked files.

So, Rhino is now available for the Mac... Grab an eval copy and figure I'll just load the Windows Rhino file into that, and see how that works. Rather nightmarish. The Rhino file opens, but I have to relink all the textures, since Rhino doesn't seem capable of using relative file paths. Export an OBJ from the Mac Version.

Almost joy... fmZ imports the file, Materials appear in the palette, and even more importantly are painted on the appropriate objects. But all the mapping needs to be redone since it seems to have just reverted to a 1x1 square flat map.

Importing the same OBJ file to fmz 8.0 and fmz 7.3.4 works with the mapping intact, so the break in the mapping seems to be at 8.5

I'm guessing that the problem with reading the original file from the Windows OBJ original export has something to do with the fact that Rhino seems to write the file out with 8-3 truncated DOS filenames, and the neither the original modeller or I can find a way to stop it from doing that. 

OBJ has been around forever and is usually the easiest way to exchange files with most of the info intact. Please can we get this and DAE working properly until maybe we eventually get the long desired FBX translator.

And if anyone knows of a better workaround than having to move the Rhino Windows file to Rhino Mac, relink the textures, export to OBJ, Import into fmZ8 save and then finally open in 8.5 I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes, there appears to be a disturbance with importing the texture sizes for OBJ with the current beta. Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.  If you import the file into v7 or 8.0, save it, and then open in 8.5, does that work properly for you?

And can you send a copy of the file that is read properly by Lightwave and Mode (and the MTL and maps) so we can see what is going on there?

I will FTP the directory containing a simplified version of the model. I've just redone the tests to make sure I could reproduce with this...

Both Lightwave 2015 and MODO import this file with textures intact and properly mapped. formZ 7.3.4  8.0 and 8.5 all import this with only one texture (the gold, and only the base color, not the map) applied to all objects. This is the original export from the Windows Version of Rhino, not the one run through Rhino Mac.

Hope this helps. Would really like to see OBJ back up and running (and DAE too please, though I haven't tested it as thoroughly as I have the OBJ.

Thanks,

Doug

I will also upload the Mac Rhino saved version which loads properly into earlier versions but not into 8.5

The directories have been uploaded to FTP. I checked the RhinoMac Export again and can confirm that the textures Load and Map correctly when imported into formZ8, and import into formZ8.5 but with incorrect mapping.

thanks,

Doug

Had to go and just make sure but yes... If I import the RhinoMacOBJ into 8.0, save the file as fmz and then open that in 8.5 it is fine.

But none of the versions of formZ  that I have around (back to 6.something) seem able to import the RhinoWindowsOBJ with textures, but Modo and Lightwave can.

I think that's the correct short summary. 

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

When we import the Windows OBJ into Rhino for Mac, we get no objects or textures, so it appears that there may be something wrong with the .OBJ files Exported from Rhino on Windows.  

However, since Modo and Lightwave can handle the file, we will see what we can do to handle it as well.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Very interesting. I tried this as well and got an error readout saying it had attempted to import but encountered a mesh with 8 bogus faces, so it indeed gives you a file with nothing. It would import the RhinoMac OBJ fine though. Which it had better considering it had made the file itself. Unfortunately I no longer have the guy here with Rhino Windows so I can't explore too much more from that end. . Working now to solve some issues with the larger file which of course don't show up in the small test file. I can only wish that there was a universal translator... it's a drag when standard file formats aren't... uh... standard?.... If it was easy they'd just hire relatives I guess..

Thanks,

Doug

Thought I'd weigh in here as I've attempted all kinds of inter application workflows over the years involving FormZ and had to optimise those workflows to the indiosyncicies of FormZ.

In my experience IO is a 'Devils Haircut' no matter which applications are involved and much as we're all screaming for FBX in FormZ, FBX is no panacea either (although it's a lot better since it became the format of choice for game engines such as Unity and Unreal and it's definitely the pick of the inter app formats out there right now that's apt for FormZ). I've been critical of FormZ's IO in the past but have been really impressed with the efforts that the AutoDessys team have been going to since the launch of v8 to remedy the situation. And I definitely feel confident that things things are heading in the right direction.

Especially if we get FBX some time soon! :)

Archived