AutoDesSys

Your favorite mouse for fmz usage on a Mac

DennisA

I've tried various track balls over the years, but am begining to prefer the simpler 2 button,
Kensington Orbit K72337US...  The ball protrudes more and glides much more freely.  

With track balls...The up-motion is more difficult than side to side motion. Down motion has always been fast too. This particular, small ball greatly improves my up-motions. (Such as going up to main menu). The ball's protrusion lets me hit the up-motion, even mid finger now.  Theup-motion has always been slowed before (with previous trackballs). I also like the lightning, 360º navigation (which is dependent on the ball bearings).  The ball bearings seem durable so far. Have they invented a special plastic here?

I never, lastingly used all 4 buttons. Two seems to be plenty for me...  Way back, i bought an xkey box, thinking it would improve shortcut uses, but my mind just didn't get into that.  I don't spend much time setting up things like that. Fast balls seem much easier to hit buttons and menus, plus a number of keyboard shortcuts.  My mind prefers to focus on my inner geometry instead.

I like the multi button Logitech mice.  The 6+ button I use for the Expose´ function in OSX... oh wait, it's called Mission Control now.    The Logitech software for Mac works well these days allowing a ton of programming flexibility.  

I've bought a few of these now - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX620-Cordless-Laser-Mouse/dp/B000QJ3DZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437503607&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+mx620

But since they stopped making them, I'll probably try a newer Logitech multi button option next time.  I seem to kill them every 2 years or so.  That's a lot of clicking!  

Hi Jon Moore,

I also love my Kensington Turbo Mouse which I believe has the largest track ball in the Industry.

The Software is very good and the options are great the price / performance ratio is off the chart

for this super pointing device!

Dan S.

Hi Jon Moore,

I also love my Kensington Turbo Mouse which I believe has the largest track ball in the Industry.

The Software is very good and the options are great the price / performance ratio is off the chart

for this super pointing device!

Dan S.

Good to be in fine company. :)

It's all about that massive trackball - so much control and accuracy without having to slide your hand hither & thither.

I bought a smaller model to use with my laptop when on the road and returned it within a week. Not the same experience at all.

Thanks for suggestions... Is 

Kensington Expert Mouse Optical Wired USB Trackball & Kensington Turbo the Same? Although I have been using different kinds of non trackball mouses over the years I will give one a try... see if apple store or Best Buy has any on display to try?  

They don't make the Kensington Turbo any more from what I'm aware although I'm sure you'd be able to track one down.

The Kensington Expert is it's descendent and is made to the same high standards. Main difference is that it only has four buttons but they're positioned for greater ergonomic experience.

Amazon are the cheapest outlet here in the UK and they seem will priced on the US store too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KH63/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006B8NS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CXN8PYBWWACCZHZPBQR

Good to be in fine company. :)

It's all about that massive trackball - so much control and accuracy without having to slide your hand hither & thither.

I bought a smaller model to use with my laptop when on the road and returned it within a week. Not the same experience at all.

I tried an orange sized ball years ago, but sent it back...

Touch point at ball and base seam provides accuracy (while finger tip leverages against the base).

Super-fluid ball provides less momentum, to start ball motion, hence accuracy is aided by less heft.

Large balls have encumbered this leveraged technique.   But it might have been that the ball bearings just wore out.

Leveraging at the joint of  the original space ball was more accurate too.  (Have been meaning to improve the leverage point of newer connexion device).

I like Logitech personally.  Anything that fits your hand well, and has at least 3 buttons and a real scroll wheel (as in not an Apple mouse).

I use the 4th and 5th buttons to go forward and back all the time in web browsers, so that is something to consider.

The Logitech 705 is generally a nice mouse, but has known issues with its scroll wheel, so you can gamble as to whether that will go bad on you at some point, or avoid that one for that reason.

They all generally track well and have good battery life, so again, something that works ergonomically for your hand is probably the biggest factor...

I'm a big fan of using the Wacom combined with a 3DConnexions Space Navigator (or any of their devices for that matter... Space Nav is just their cheapest). I can no longer work without it. But, I almost never do 2D work and hardly ever work in anything other than perspective views, so that would certainly make a difference. In the old versions of formZ, using the classic 4 window multi-screen I tended to prefer a Logitech Trackball.

Doug

Hi Jon,

I have the Expert Mouse as you indicate and with Mouse-Works software you do have 4 buttons. Yet, you can press at the same time the top 2 and I use this for Copy and then Bottom 2 at the same time I use for Paste.

So, 6 options although with the latest issue of Mac OS 10.10.4 then these last two options do not always work as they should and Kensington needs to upgrade their Software.

Dan S.

Hi Jon,

I have the Expert Mouse as you indicate and with Mouse-Works software you do have 4 buttons. Yet, you can press at the same time the top 2 and I use this for Copy and then Bottom 2 at the same time I use for Paste.

So, 6 options although with the latest issue of Mac OS 10.10.4 then these last two options do not always work as they should and Kensington needs to upgrade their Software.

Dan S.

As Markus indicated earlier in this thread, if you're on OS X, you should give the Steermouse drivers a go. I've used them for years too (it works with the vast majority of multi button input devices). 30 day trial available too.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

I'm a big fan of using the Wacom combined with a 3DConnexions Space Navigator (or any of their devices for that matter... Space Nav is just their cheapest). I can no longer work without it. But, I almost never do 2D work and hardly ever work in anything other than perspective views, so that would certainly make a difference. In the old versions of formZ, using the classic 4 window multi-screen I tended to prefer a Logitech Trackball.

Doug

Yup, same here, never touched a mouse the last 15 years, a mouse is something for cats to play with :P .

"As Markus indicated earlier in this thread, if you're on OS X, you should give the Steermouse drivers a go. I've used them for years too (it works with the vast majority of multi button input devices). 30 day trial available too."

Thanks for information Jon and I will give it try!

Dan S.

Trying demos of the suggested mouses are a task. Unlike in past years Apple store only carries apple products. Went to a local Staples (you can purchase & have 14 Days return policy... that may be best way of testing)... they had Logitech M570 & M705 among other logitech's. They also had a New one Logitech MXMASTER any user try this?

To Best Buy tomorrow to see if they carry any others.

Trying demos of the suggested mouses are a task. Unlike in past years Apple store only carries apple products. Went to a local Staples (you can purchase & have 14 Days return policy... that may be best way of testing)... they had Logitech M570 & M705 among other logitech's. They also had a New one Logitech MXMASTER any user try this?

To Best Buy tomorrow to see if they carry any others.

I've always found Amazon pain free when it comes to returns. The usually have a convenience store local to you that handles the return (no fee for postage or anything like that). Always say 'not fit for purpose' on the return form and have never had any issues. Money credited back within a few days.

Amazon represent everything that I hate about ecommerce culture but they do ecommerce so damned well I find it hard to refuse!   :)

Archived