AutoDesSys

Elliptical rounding: where did it go?

peani

FZ6 allowed elliptical rounding with the Plain Rounding tool. FZ8 only allows it with the Controlled Rounding tool. Why did this change?

The Controlled Rounding tool becomes tedious and unwieldy when applying it to, for example, a slab object with 100 round holes. If I want to apply rounding to all 100 holes, I have to select 200 edges individually! It would be much easier to do a drag-pick of segments and be done with it...

Plus, the overhead of the controls seems to bring FZ to its knees.

Also, the elliptical option is not available with a branched set, but this was not a problem in FZ6 with Plain Rounding.

So far I have been unable to apply elliptical rounding to the holes in this object. Any ideas on how to get it done in FZ8?

post-11302-0-14701100-1437171367_thumb.png

Here is an image of what I'm trying to do. The rounding applied to the holes is elliptical with major radius 0.7 mm and minor radius 0.3 mm. I was able to do this in one step in FZ6 by pre-picking the hole edges, then using the Plain Rounding tool.

I can't find a way to do this in FZ8.

The model file is 36 mb so I tried uploading a simplified model with only 3 holes for people to play with, but I get the message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file."

post-11302-0-59078300-1437175504_thumb.png

DennisA,

Selecting the top face causes the elliptical option to disappear in FZ8's Controlled Rounding tool. I'm guessing that's because the face's segments constitute a "branched set" as described in the manual.

Hi Peani,

Yes, there is an issue with elliptical rounding of internal outlines / holes.  Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

(If you want to upload FMZ files to the forum in the future, just ZIP it first -- or you can give a dropbox link as you have done for larger files if you like...)

Archived