AutoDesSys

Yosemite and shaded full lockup

archX

Just upgraded (finally) to Yosemite and now going into Shaded Full locks up my machine. I have to do a hard shutdown and reboot. Tried updating to 8.5 SE but same problem. I'm on an iMac, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB ram, nvidia GeForce GT 650M. Currently running fZ ver 8.0.2 SE

Hi ArchX,

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having trouble.  Does this only happen with a specific file, or if you just have a New Project with a cube, do you have the problem there too?

If this only happens with a specific file, right click on Shaded Full from the Display Tools, choose Options, and make a screen capture of the options that are currently selected.  Then uncheck Automatic (update) at the bottom, turn off options, and then click Update.  Does that then work for you?

OK, when I open another less complicated model shaded full view works fine. Then I did what you said, turned off automatic update, and reopened the problem file. With two layers toggled on I entered shaded full mode and didn't lock up. The cursor seized briefly but it recovered. As I toggled on more layers it would do the same thing, cursor seizing and then working. Sort of. If I dragged the cursor over the model it would hesitate. I had several lights on which I turned off and now everything is behaving. Hmmm.

Sounds like you have a pretty complex model -- or very high quality settings.  Your video card is not "great" but it certainly is "decent."  If you like, you can send your file and we can take a look to see if there is anything we can do to optimize this...

Hi ArchX,

Yes, we just emailed you that (right after you posted).  With the Very Large Shadow Maps and turning on all the lights, we do get a long video memory swap delay with lower memory video cards.  Setting this Map Size to a lower value (perhaps Small or Medium) should avoid this issue when turning on all the lights...

No problem, and thanks again for sending your file, we will see what we can do to make this better!

We also found that there are quite a few issues with the geometry that can be fixed automatically by the Object Doctor.  If you get the Object Doctor, choose all options and Fix if Possible, Select All, and Click in the screen, that should also help your file perform better.

DAE Export is working for us with the old version of the file you sent.  If you have made changes to the file since you last sent it, can you send the updated version?

And if you try exporting to .OBJ instead, does that work better for you?

Updated to 8.5 and now exporting as .DAE works. Unfortunately the model isn't very clean when opened in SU, faces missing, any tips as to how best export? BTW, my SE license isn't working with ver 8.5, it will in a expire few a days.

Archived