AutoDesSys

Axial Sweep - As Positioned

Steve Price

I'm sweeping a circle along a straight path As Positioned. The resulting shape starts with a circular cross section and ends with an oval one. I've checked no other options other than Facetted and As Positioned. Why isn't the shape circular the length of the path?

Hi Steve,

First make sure that you have positioned your source shape on the first point of the path.  If you still have any trouble, please email a file containing these two objects -- and your result to support@formz.com so we can help.

Hi Steve,

First make sure that you have positioned your source shape on the first point of the path.  If you still have any trouble, please email a file containing these two objects -- and your result to support@formz.com so we can help.

I thought that choosing As Positioned means that the source shape does not have to be attached to the path, it will just sweep parallel to the path. Is this incorrect? I've attached a test file that I've been experimenting with showing my results.

Hi Steve,

We have checked our email and do not see a file from you.  As Positioned means as the shape is positioned relative to the path, so the location and angle of the source shape relative to the first point certainly does matter.  Perhaps you just want to use the Centroid option?

axial sweep in fz 7-8 is a huge leap backwards in terms of functionality. 

Architectural modelling requires a large amount axial sweeping and this alone keeps us well ensconced in 6.7.

The ability to MOVE AND SNAP the source shape in the preview window was infinitely EASIER , FASTER and more flexible.

No need to get bogged down with positioning or editing first point status.

Now (v8) if the source shape requires moving relative to the path , all source points need to be individually selected.

I would be happy if I'm overlooking something here ?

Hi Pipo,

Yes, repositioning it should be easier, but there is an easy way.  Just Sweep it.  If you don't have it set up to sweep correctly directly, click on it with the Extract Tool, move the shape as you would like, and Sweep again with As Positioned...  

Thanks for your report, we will improve this for the future.

Hi Steve,

We have still not received a file so we can understand exactly what you are asking, but perhaps this will help:

If you place a circle perpendicular to the path and sweep it As Positioned, then the result should be a circle.  However if you have your source shape positioned at any other angle relative to the path, then the result is expected to be elliptical.  

Does that help?

This still does not work. Another problem: When I attempt to attach my test file to this message, I get an error message saying that "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file." This is my third time I've tried. How do I attach an fmz file?

Hi Steve,

We have still not received a file so we can understand exactly what you are asking, but perhaps this will help:

If you place a circle perpendicular to the path and sweep it As Positioned, then the result should be a circle.  However if you have your source shape positioned at any other angle relative to the path, then the result is expected to be elliptical.  

Does that help?

This still does not work. Another problem: When I attempt to attach my test file to this message, I get an error message saying that "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file." This is my third time I've tried. How do I attach an fmz file?

Hi Steve,

Does that help?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your file.  Yes, you are correct that this case is not being handled properly.  If the path has more than 2 points, or if you Sweep as Smooth, or if you Sweep with other Alignment options, then it works properly.  So you could either Sweep this As Positioned with the Smooth option (and then Convert it to Facetted if desired), or you could simply extrude the shape to create this object.

Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Archived