AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gumby_Doyen

Spacemouse Pro Wireless view problems

I've recently purchased the SpaceMouse Pro wireless navigation device.  It has huge potential, except for the predefined view buttons for front, right, and top views are not working.   

I've checked the programing for these buttons, and everything seems to in order, but they don't function at all.  Form•Z is a certified and supported by the manufacturer 3Dconnexion, who I am also pursuing this matter with.

Has anybody had similar problems with this device?  Any info or knowledge of this device is welcomed.

If I could resolve this one issue, I would highly recommend the SpaceMouse Pro to any 3D'er.

Edited by Gumby_Doyen

Hi Gumby,

While those "presets" don't work directly, you can program them to the formZ equivalent (ctrl - 6 for Top view for example) and that should work.  

If you are still having any issues with this, does installing the most recent drivers from the 3Dconnexion site help?

At this time 3Dconnexion is replacing my space mouse pro wireless. This is because all drivers, and firmware are up to date. Hopefully this will resolve any issue.

On another note! Due to the fact Form•Z increasingly becomes better at creating organic forms. the space mouse has a real place in 3D modeling.  Being able to continually manipulate and object or scene on any axis is really the most effective way to study what one has created.  

It's very cool.

I'm unable to get even the hat to navigate a scene correctly on a Mac, let alone the button functions.

Also when connected my mouse operates as if the left button is stuck down requiring force quitting Formz.

Again Any info or knowledge of this device is welcomed, as it cost NZ$550 and is practically useless.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I've used Connexion devices since first integrated into formZ (many years ago)....  There have occasionally been glitches, usually with first uses or upgrades. However with patience and sorting out short-cuts/ quick-keys, etc, navigation control is invaluable for 3d.  (I'm currently happy with keyboard use for short-cuts/quick-keys).

For the most part i ignore the Explorer buttons, (besides "fit").  Control panel customizations have become less useful and for many years i have preferred just the simpler knob like Connexion device for the 3d navigation. I think the main advantage of the bigger device(s) is to physically stabilize it on the table. For cost savings, i recommend the simple device which has all the navigation power.

I would not expect device-conformity between different software applications or connected devices. There is always going to be variations and worse of all, changes within OS upgrades, as time passes quickly, along with various conventions.

Hi Gyro,

If you have installed the latest drivers for the 3Dconnexion device and are still having trouble, does the device work properly in other programs?  (It is possible that you may have gotten a defective one?)

Ironically I  became tired of trying to figure out the problems.  3Dconnexion actually sent a another device for free, with out having to return the original device.  It too had the same problems.  With the first device 3Dconnexion ask me to update the firmware.  I was able to update the firmware for the device but not for the wireless receiver.  So now the original device and receiver have different firmware.  

The comments Bo made closely reflect how I feel about the device.  The ability to freely move an object or scene in 3D space is great.  I kind of wish I only spent $100 and the more basic wireless model rather than the $325 for something doesn't seem to work properly.

3Dconnexion's customer service I feel is out of sync with it's various products in relation to the software used with it.

If it worked as advertised without the technical hassles, I would be a satisfied customer.

At this time I'm not.

Got to go now, worked way to long to today.

Would like to figure this out though.

Best.

Gumby

Hi Gumby,

We don't have any problems with our devices here.  Have you tried testing them in different programs to see if it is the device itself, or something to do with the specific program interaction?

Yes it works fine with Cinema 4d.  Perhaps its a problem with the Spacemouse Pro Wireless. Do you have this particular model. The Buttons numbered 1 through 4 are programable.  The buttons locate beneath these, are the ones I am unable to program.  Though the fit to scene does work.  I am a rather capable user, stuff like this annoys me to no end. I don't have the time to screwing around with something that doesn't work properly. Now I have a new $325 door-stop.

Hi Gumby,

We have the Pro - wired, and the Space Mouse Wireless -- but we don't have the Space Mouse Pro Wireless itself.  I am pretty sure that we have a number of users with the one you have without issues though.  In the 3Dconnexion profile, do you have a custom profile for formZ?  If so, if you delete it, does that help, or if not, if you create one does that affect the issue you are having?

Upon opening preferences for Mac OS 10.10.5 and selecting the 3Dconnexion icon. Near the top center is a pull down menu with various supported apps.  formZ / bonsai3D is one of the choices.  Toward the bottom of this menu is the choice "remove application", but this choice is visibly muted, and cannot be selected.

I have the most recent 3Dconnection driver version 10.2.3

Most up to date Mac OS 10.5.5

Most recent version of formZ 8.5.0.1

Same troubles, even with the second spacemouse that was sent to me.

Edited by Gumby_Doyen

Gumby,

If you can't remove formZ from the menu then that indicates that something is wrong with the software.  Try using the Add Application to re-add formZ and see if that helps.

If not, try removing and reinstalling everything 3Dconnexion related and see if that fixes it for you.  Refer to their tech support if you are still not able to remove programs...