AutoDesSys

Parametric gear tool

bbuxton

Is there a way around the upper limit of 100 teeth? I am trying to position about 60 small gears with 16 teeth around a much larger gear with about 540 teeth of same diametral pitch and pressure angle.

I have tried multi copy and booleans to try and create the larger gear manually but it is inaccurate and causes instability and other problems in form•Z 

Hi Brian,

The limit for the number of teeth for the gear is set to 100, so there is not a "way around it" other than manually creating the gear.  If you are using Smooth geometry for a gear with that many teeth, we would highly recommend using a Simple: 0% resolution, as otherwise there may be too much geometry generated for your video card to handle.  Other than that you should not have any stability issues, so if you do, please send a file where you are encountering this so we can take a look.

The stability issue was just a terrible slowdown even after quitting the tool. Also Multi copy can leave objects in the viewport and drawing but not in the object list.

Resulting on elements that cannot be selected or removed yet still affect snapping and appear at render time etc etc.

It can be a real pain copying and pasting a large project into a new file to get rid of the bogus items.

Can the gear teeth upper limit be reviewed at some point? I often find that I need far more than 100 teeth 

Even better would be a way of cloning teeth or links along a closed path and for the path to relax enough for the teeth or links not to intersect.

For now I can use Vectorworks parametric gear (which has no problem generating 1000s of teeth) and import into formZ

Hello Zweb

Upon reopening the file FormZ has an error box informing me that there are corrupt items in the file and if I want formZ  to remove them.

I should have taken a screenshot sorry. I managed to perform further edits on the part in 6.7.3 which although doesn't have the beautiful interface of newer versions is still unmatched for performance.

Hi Brian,

Ok, we have continued testing and still not reproduced any issues.  If you are able to repeat the steps and repeat the problem, please let us know so we can better direct our testing and resolve the issue (if you can repeat it).

Archived