AutoDesSys

Carpark Surface advice

Des

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice with generating a surface for a carpark. I've attached a file which has the boundary as a single object with the edges at their levels. I normally use the "cover" tool which is quick and easy, but this one is creating mounds in the surface which are too severe. Ideally I'm looking for the surface to be very gradual.

When I convert to nurbs for editing, the whole surface turns inside out..

Thanks in advance.

Des

CarparkTest.fmz.zip

The cap tool gives a less severe surface but still a bit hilly.

Subdivision seems to give a quick and easy result with sharpness set to 100%, although the object needs to be converted to facetted first.

Hey Tech. Why is it when I convert a subdivision surface to a Nurbs object, I can't use nurbs edit?

Des

Hi Des,

Can you adjust the grade beyond the edge of the parking lot?  If so, Cap or Cover, Convert to NURBS, Untrim the NURBS, Reconstruct -- and re-Trim with the original edge.  Does that do what you want?

Thanks for the report of the issue Reconstructing the Trimmed Nurbs, we will get this corrected.

Converting a SubD object to NURBS will convert each 3 or 4 sided polygon of the original SubD Cage object to a NURBS Surface, and if the object contains more than one of these, the results are then Stitched together to form a single object.  Only UnStitched NURBS surfaces can be Reconstructed, which is why that is not allowed for your object.

Thanks for that Tech.

I'll have to redraw the outline larger as you say, move the points up and down to their heights etc. and follow your instructions.

It would be nice however to be able to have it generate with more accuracy to the defined edges.

One thing, back in version 6 and beyond, one could just mesh the object (with which derivatives could generated from to generate a nurbs from?). Seems that can't be done anymore?

Des

Hi Anton,

Thanks for that. Although that method works (kind of triangulation before capping), I was looking for a cleaner method based on a kind of grid with more control. I'll be deriving lots of item from the surface such as islands etc. which I want to be accurate and clean.

Thanks for taking the time all the same..

Des

Regarding your note..... sure

Archived