AutoDesSys

8.5 cost?

Alan Cooper

Well, according to this:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/formz8_Update_family_plan.html

the impression is that 8.5 will have a cost applied for v8 users.

Some clarity would be appreciated, although I will probably gather the pennies together for the family plan in anyway as the support is useful and strictly speaking it is restricted without Family Plan.

From the email I got, yes, there is a charge - for maintenance.

I tried the 'CLICK HERE' route to upgrade mine, but when I went through the process, it appears someone screw'd the pooch, and left Canada off the list of the world's countries.  Nice guys always get left...well, you get the idea.  Tried the webpage of the Canadian distributor, and they don't have the deal there.

Will it be there before release?  Or can CANADA join the list of all the other countries in the world?

:-)

John

I purchased family plan in order to cut some costs before FZ 8 was released. I was really pissed off when I realized that upgrade costs same $250 as Family Plan cost. 

Also 8.5 is mostly a fix to Layout in compare to major updates. Which I agree with Duncan303. Only a few minor tools are added (Scatter, Voronoi e. t. c.) So there will be kinda cheat from Autodessys if they would decide to charge us for that  amount of major release.

Basically my understanding is that if you purchased or upgraded to 8.0 within the last four months 8.5 is free.

I upgraded in November, so I will have to pay. If its any more than about $80 I will likely not bother to upgrade to yet another 'full' beta product.

I'm not happy with 8.5 being touted as an upgrade....it should be an update release.

Of course the stock forum response....'We do not discuss product pricing'' applies to this thread.

I have now purchased another year of Family Plan on the basis that I want the continued fixes to existing tools, which will be implemented from now on only in 8.5 as well as continued support. The training session and some new features may be useful, but have not been the priority in my purchase decision as I have not found Layout useful yet. What I want is flawless operation to the core product and the User Interface and some little details which would make regular use easier and quicker, like, for example, not needing to zoom in to read a selected dimension in the model or to read the result of one which is being produced. The things which make every day modelling more efficient are more important than competing for latest sexy feature in the industry.

i am still using FZ as my main workhorse for 3d modeling, that's why i renewed my family plan membership, as it is a good way to support the ongoing development of this program and at the same time to get all updates and the best support services.

but i would expect more from a .5 version to be honest. however, i hope and expect that this version will soon fix all the outstanding bugs in 8.0.2, especially the UI issues and adds a few of the so requested features still missing from previous FZ versions.

cheers

markus

From the email I got, yes, there is a charge - for maintenance.

I tried the 'CLICK HERE' route to upgrade mine, but when I went through the process, it appears someone screw'd the pooch, and left Canada off the list of the world's countries.  Nice guys always get left...well, you get the idea.  Tried the webpage of the Canadian distributor, and they don't have the deal there.

Will it be there before release?  Or can CANADA join the list of all the other countries in the world?

:-)

John

John, 

I just got an email from them today and Zolos, the Canadian distributor now has the deal listed, albeit at a slightly higher price reflecting the current state of our dollar...

Doug

Of course I'd still like to know what the upgrade price will be without the Family Plan accoutrements..

I'm not a license holder myself but I advised a number of the studios I work with here in the UK to get on board with v8. I keep an eye on developments across the industry and have been both underwhelmed with v8.5 and disappointed by the number of existing issues that have still to be addressed (some of which go back to the beginning of the v7 life-cycle and before).

I'm hopeful that v8.5 will not be a paid upgrade as there didn't seem to be a point version upgrade fee on v7. It seems to me that ADS are purposely not communicating whether v8.5 is a paid upgrade or not so as to sell a few more family plan subscriptions. This lack of transparency is at best unprofessional and at worst a devious sales tactic.

Compared to the level of improvements you get in a package such as Modo as part of the yearly upgrade cycle ( https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/latest-version/new-features/) the$300 per annum family pack subscription fee seems a very high price to pay for a lacklustre set of new features and worse still, age old issues and bugs still not being squished.

I believe software developers should be paid for their ongoing development but responsiveness is also an integral part aspect of support contracts and such like.

John, 

I just got an email from them today and Zolos, the Canadian distributor now has the deal listed, albeit at a slightly higher price reflecting the current state of our dollar...

Doug

Of course I'd still like to know what the upgrade price will be without the Family Plan accoutrements..

Thanks.  Got renewed when I saw they'd updated the deal for form'Zed'ers.  :-)

John

Jonmoore,

While I understand peoples frustration with upgrade pricing not being announced, I choose to give Autodesys the benefit of the doubt before thinking their behavior unprofessional or devious.

Regarding the Family Plan, as a Family Plan member you can call Autodessys and get phone support. While their online help is excellent, as a professional having direct, immediate access to excellent support is more than worth the $ to me. Tack the free updates and upgrades onto the Family Plan and it is one of the best expenses I have in my business.

Regards,

Gary

While I understand peoples frustration with upgrade pricing not being announced, I choose to give Autodesys the benefit of the doubt before thinking their behavior unprofessional or devious.

Gary

I fully accept my comments sound harsh but it does seem to me to be unprofessional to attempt to get people to take out a subscription plan on the back of the forthcoming v8.5 release, without also providing the details of comparative upgrade pricing alone (or even if this point version upgrade will require an upgrade fee at all).

IMHO transparency is key for these kinds of purchasing decision.

I've a been a form•Z for many years, and AutoDesSys has behaved decently, maintaining a good customer/ client relationship.  If they suddenly decide to become greedy or not share information with their client base, it will only have a negative impact.  I am watching it happen with another well known software company recently, and it's not pretty.

If we want AutoDesSys to keep developing solid tools from which we earn our living, we must also expect to compensate them for the value they deliver to us. What is the value of the tools they deliver to us versus the price you pay for them? I think the return on investment is a good one. Consider the other options in the marketplace and you will likely agree the cost/benefit works in our favor! "Free" comes at a price! Realizing this, I just signed up for the upgrade and family plan option. I hope others will do the same...

If we want AutoDesSys to keep developing solid tools from which we earn our living, we must also expect to compensate them for the value they deliver to us. What is the value of the tools they deliver to us versus the price you pay for them? I think the return on investment is a good one. Consider the other options in the marketplace and you will likely agree the cost/benefit works in our favor! "Free" comes at a price! Realizing this, I just signed up for the upgrade and family plan option. I hope others will do the same...

Agreed, envdesign, provided that the developments are those which we most want.....and of course we will always want different features, tweaks or priorities for fixes.

However if more people would vote for the features in the wish-lists, it would give Autodessys a clue as to those things which are in greatest demand.

This forum is great because a user-community helps us to share ideas, and gives a chance to search for an answer already given, without bothering Tech.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Yes, generally we do not discuss pricing on the forum, but we will make an exception in this case.

We have finalized the price of the formZ 8.5 update at $125.  

The Family Plan is generally a great value as it not only includes the costs of all updates that are released during the year, it also offers priority technical support, and a free training class.  Often times the Family Plan pays for itself based on the upgrade costs alone, and at the current special discounted price, this is an even better value.  

We might note that we are not forcing anyone into a subscription plan (as is becoming common these days), so each user may decide for themselves which they prefer, but the current deal on the Family Plan is a very good option to consider.

We will also be releasing an 8.1 update that includes many of the corrections (but not new features) found in 8.5 that do not require certain internal architectural changes found in 8.5. This will be released as a free patch around the same time as the release of 8.5 

We will also be releasing an 8.1 update that includes many of the corrections (but not new features) found in 8.5 that do not require certain internal architectural changes found in 8.5. This will be released as a free patch around the same time as the release of 8.5 

This all sounds very fair.

To be clear, any criticisms I had was not regarding the value of the Family Plan (or subscriptions in general) but was more with regard to the lack of clarity as to the available options. This has now been remedied and it's great that you're providing a 'bug fix' path for those that are less interested in the updated layout functionality at no extra cost. All three options offer great value and provide excellent flexibility for the varying needs of your customers.

I took out the family plan before the price of upgrading was announced, effectively paying double what I needed to. 

The free training would be useful if I was a new user or just upgraded from v6.7.3. Perhaps the family plan is ok if v9 is released within the next 12 months.

Confusion and lack of clarity is never good when making purchasing decisions. 

Hi Brian,

The Family Plan includes the 8.5 update for free, and there will very likely be another more expensive update also included with that price, in addition to the training and support...

Archived