AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allanjl

Any plans for a plugin to Lumion?

Strange response from Tech....

FormZ is a product that is for sale, affording plug-ins that connect with other products is a plus for the marketing and sales of the product.

Putting all the plug-in requirements back onto user support and feedback is ridiculous....

We have had the same comments on Vray, Thea, FBX ............. et al.

So Lumion is another enhancement to be added to the ever expanding list.

To be clear; users want them all!!!....asap!!

Is that not enough user feedback?

While I agree that it would be great to have more rendering options and plugins for more products, I do understand that you need full cooperation between both product suppliers to create a plugin that works seamlessly, and not all vendors choose to cooperate/share their code.

Also, most companies prefer not to discuss what they are developing/working on until it's ready for release - so we just have to hope stuff is going on the background that we don't know about. But the occasional clue that something may be happening might make us users feel better!

In the short term, I would love to see a section in 'tutorials 'or 'tips and tricks' page (or a PDF) that showed workflows or preferred export settings for working with different renderers and software. Trying to search the whole forum for that elusive thread to export to a particular renderer can be a pain.

Also, spending time on and creating resources that few will use (not that this is the case in this instance) keeps the same effort from being used elsewhere on the program. It's easy to say we want all of it now but that's not realistic. The developers need to be able to prioritize features, and they are saying that they do that via votes from their customers on where the roadmap should go. I don't think this is a ridiculous request at all.

etroxel,

You must have noted that I specified the much asked for Vray, Thea & FBX development.

Hardly resources that few will use.....plus these have been voted for and requested from the third party developers by users for a very loooooong time.

I agree with prioritising.....but the list just seems to be getting bigger with no signs of any prioritising or any delivery.

In combination....with no results.... it becomes a ridiculous request. (or easy get out of jail, stock reply)

I was just looking into Lumion and was going to download their demo to see if I could figure out a workflow through DAE export.  I have failed repeatedly to download their software and have not gotten any response from them.  You send them your email and contact info and they are supposed to send a link to the software.  Never happens.  Not a good sign.

I recently collaborated with an architecture firm on a retail store design.

I provided geometry from FormZ for them to insert into their larger store environment. They were using SketchUp with Lumion.

Per their request, I exported 3DS, DAE, OBJ, and DWG formats. DWG worked the best for them, but they had to re-texture many finicky product boxes. Lots of extra work.

The Lumion renderings look VERY good. I notice on the Lumion site that it is on the PC side only. I'm on Mac, but I'm one more user who would be interested in seeing this as an option, both the cleaner export to SKP and the rendering plugin.